Pipd's Peeps!

Two OEGBs are here! Pretty sure they're both Khaki, so the one color I can't tell males from females. :barnie Oh, well, at least they're pretty. :love

One of them zipped all the way around, then started to zip around again, but the membrane on that egg would not tear, so I ended up giving that baby a little help. The membrane was so tough it took ME a little work to tear! But baby's healthy and mobile now! :love :love

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/457208786940198913/718120074942087208/unknown.png

I didn't grab a picture of the other, oops! But they look mostly the same. :) 3 eggs are still pipped, and 3 haven't done anything just yet, but two of those three were set later so no big surprise there. Come on babies! :fl

Editing to add, now that they're drying, they do look Fawn after all, and looks like a male and a female. The female was the stuck one, so I'm glad I intervened!!

Last edited:
Thanks, Ron! We're still hatching! An additional one from Winty x Abra just hatched and it looks like a third male, so either I'm having rotten luck with those babies, or... They're not actually sexable at hatch. 🤔

Anyway, he (or possibly she?) is shy and wouldn't come out from behind the heat sink for a picture. :love

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/457208786940198913/718132802067103805/unknown.png

Thanks, Ron! We're still hatching! An additional one from Winty x Abra just hatched and it looks like a third male, so either I'm having rotten luck with those babies, or... They're not actually sexable at hatch. 🤔

Anyway, he (or possibly she?) is shy and wouldn't come out from behind the heat sink for a picture. :love

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/457208786940198913/718132802067103805/unknown.png
You did get a head shot!

You did get a head shot!

Haha, that I did! :p He's a stinker already, that one!

Hopefully you get more females!!

Me, too! :fl

Current count as of just now is 3 OEGB babies and 4 Silkie x Cochin mix babies! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy I guess I have some confirmation that there is a sexlinked trait in the mixes, because the fourth baby is dark-skinned, the female trait. :th The OEGBs look like a cockerel, a pullet, and, err, I'm not 100% sure on the third. So, uh, yeah, I'm really hoping for more pullets! :lol:

Anyway, no current pictures because my phone died, but here are the four oldest in the brooder :love The two up top are the mixes, and the two on the bottom are the OEGBs.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/457208786940198913/718158363543863316/unknown.png

Funny story, I was worried that the fourth OEGB egg was not doing anything even though it was set at the same time as the three already hatched, so I thought I would candle it real quick since no one was pipped at the time, thinking it may not have made it. Immediately, I felt it moving around in the shell when I picked it up, so I went to just put it back, no need to candle. Well, all of the sudden, I heard a CRUNCH! And right there, in my hand, that egg pipped!! :th It's back in the incubator now, safe and sound, to hatch!

Haha, that I did! :p He's a stinker already, that one!

Me, too! :fl

Current count as of just now is 3 OEGB babies and 4 Silkie x Cochin mix babies! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy I guess I have some confirmation that there is a sexlinked trait in the mixes, because the fourth baby is dark-skinned, the female trait. :th The OEGBs look like a cockerel, a pullet, and, err, I'm not 100% sure on the third. So, uh, yeah, I'm really hoping for more pullets! :lol:

Anyway, no current pictures because my phone died, but here are the four oldest in the brooder :love The two up top are the mixes, and the two on the bottom are the OEGBs.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/457208786940198913/718158363543863316/unknown.png

Funny story, I was worried that the fourth OEGB egg was not doing anything even though it was set at the same time as the three already hatched, so I thought I would candle it real quick since no one was pipped at the time, thinking it may not have made it. Immediately, I felt it moving around in the shell when I picked it up, so I went to just put it back, no need to candle. Well, all of the sudden, I heard a CRUNCH! And right there, in my hand, that egg pipped!! :th It's back in the incubator now, safe and sound, to hatch!
They look very snug under the brooder plate!

Sorry for the silence, busy day! All 10 babies are out! :jumpy:jumpy:wee :jumpy :jumpy And one of them is a black Silver Duckwing OEGB! FINALLY!! :love Unfortunately, with her out, I think I misjudged the other OEGBs that hatched earlier. She definitely looks like a pullet... and they don't. Which, near as I can tell, puts me at at least 7 cockerels for this hatch out of the 10 of them. :th So, here's hoping the last OEGB that just hatched is a pullet, huh?

Anyway, I'm super tired and don't have any pictures handy, so I'll have to get some in the morning to share all the cuteness. Good night, y'all!

Sorry for the silence, busy day! All 10 babies are out! :jumpy:jumpy:wee :jumpy :jumpy And one of them is a black Silver Duckwing OEGB! FINALLY!! :love Unfortunately, with her out, I think I misjudged the other OEGBs that hatched earlier. She definitely looks like a pullet... and they don't. Which, near as I can tell, puts me at at least 7 cockerels for this hatch out of the 10 of them. :th So, here's hoping the last OEGB that just hatched is a pullet, huh?

Anyway, I'm super tired and don't have any pictures handy, so I'll have to get some in the morning to share all the cuteness. Good night, y'all!
I am looking around and it does not seem like OEGBs are auto sexing. My guess is that you will do much better than you think with the pullet to cockerer ratio.

Mine have been autosexing so far. I suppose it's possible it was a coincidence, but all the pullets have had thicker eye stripes and all the cockerels thinner eyestripes, like with the Dorkings. Here's hoping that's wrong, because as far as I can tell I have two pullets out of ten if it's true. :th

These are the two I'm sure are pullets so far. The brown Silkie x Cochin mix is a sexlink by skin color (dark skin = female in that cross) and the OEGB has those thick eye stripes. :love I really hope that that's right on her because she's my first black Silver Duckwing out of them!! :fl

1591454802253.png

I think out of the OEGBs that I got a whopping 3 Khakis and just one Fawn, which is supposed to be the most likely color out of them. The Khakis are super hard to tell the eye stripes on, so I'm holding off passing judgement on them, but based on behavior already I think the Fawn is a male anyway. He's a feisty little squirt for a 1-day-old! Then I got 4 white Silkie x Cochin cockerels (light skin = male). These guys are Buzz's full siblings, so the fact that the cockerels are white and the pullet is dark is just coincidental, at least.

I haven't gotten good individual pictures of them yet (the last two are still finding their land legs, so I'm giving them some time), but here they are having a party in their food dish :p

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/457208786940198913/718530967362601020/unknown.png

Back
Top Bottom