Pipd's Peeps!

:hugs I was very upset when I posted, but I think I'm okay now. I still feel bad, of course, but nothing I can do about it now. I'm talking with someone with frozen chicken foot experience on my silkied Cochin thread and have gotten some good tips on managing it as it thaws and heals. I imagine he'll lose his toes on that foot, but there is mobility at the base of the toes, so hopefully he won't lose any more than that. It sounds like if they start losing the lower leg, they don't do very well at all. Poor guy, though. That had to be a rough night. :hmm

He crowed this morning, so must be feeling okay! (I hesitate to say he's feeling all right, considering... :th ) Casper climbed up and peeked in his pen to see what the noise was and he went totally silent. 🤭 I checked his foot after getting back in from opening coops, and the toes are swollen but will bend now. He's also not limping or favoring the other foot as far as I can tell, so so far so good. :fl He about ran out of his pen past me, though! He does not want my attention!

Pretty well still. He's still eating, drinking, and of course pooping normally. Today he decided to jump into his waterer when I tried to grab him to look at his foot, so that was fun. :rolleyes: He has started to limp on the affected foot as of a few minutes ago when I peeked in, though I don't see anything outwardly different about it today versus yesterday. :hmm Wondering if I shouldn't look into some kind of painkiller for him. I'm pretty sure we have aspirin in the house, so I could try that.

Today I decided to check over my 2 newbies and then put them in a small crate while cleaning up their area. I grabbed the rooster, dusted, and checked for any living creatures on him. Then, placed him in the small crate which was at least 3' off the ground, but didn't latch the door. While dusting the girl, he pushed the door open and jumped out. 😲 They are in a shed and I was standing with the outside door open for extra light to check them over. I quickly shut the door. He made his way towards me and made a mini dinosaur sound. 🦖 🤣
I was like look here buddy, your gf is getting pampered. No need to act like that.
I finished her up, put her in the crate, and grab him - this time latching the door.
Finished cleaning their area and was putting them back when he decide to make a run for it - right out the shed door! I grabbed my broom and got him to go back in and he beelined it for the area they are staying in. What a turd!
The girl has already filed down her beak. I put a small brick in their enclosure for entertainment and filing purposes. It worked. 😁

Through fb discussion groups, I learned that my local RK has chicks - bantams and LF. I'm so tempted to go get some, but then also afraid I'm doing to much at a time and something will get overlooked - like not putting food away at night (🖐 just did that). Plus since the newbs are in quarantine, I'm most likely going to mess that up. I'm not very good at it as it is and most likely have already cross contaminated between the 2 set ups. Honestly, this is the longest I've quarantined and I'm already tired of it. :oops:

How's Jack?

Haha, he sounds like a real character! 🤣 That was a great idea putting a brick in there to help the hen file her beak down!

Quarantining is a pain for sure, I know. You'll at least want to keep quarantining until you're sure they're rid of their parasites, though longer is generally better to be safe. 🙂

Jack's doing good, still limping a bit but not too badly and still otherwise acting normally for him. He was crowing his heart out this morning and I realized I'd forgotten to turn the light on in that room for him and the two tiny OEGB girls, who came in due to the cold (but will probably be headed back out today as it's warm again!). So I went up there to turn the light on and he stopped his crowing, went to the back of his cage, and started muttering like he was so disgruntled that I'd interrupted his morning calls. Then I left the room and could hear him in there going 'BAWK-AWK-AWK' real loud. Must have been real proud of himself that he scared me off or something. 🤣

The little guy here crows when I get his breakfast to him too late. He knows I'm around, but because I need to take care of 2 set ups, I take care of my current flock first. During that time, he crows his head off. Like, "um hello, I think you're forgetting us!" 😂
I know roosters can be butts, but they have the best antics.

I'm glad to hear that Jack is doing well! How long will he be inside? How do his toes look?

I know roosters can be butts, but they have the best antics.

Haha, they really do! 🤣

I'm glad to hear that Jack is doing well! How long will he be inside? How do his toes look?

Not sure on that! I've been thinking I could put him outside as well today, it being so warm. I don't want to expose those toes to below-freezing weather again too soon, but I feel like he'd probably be okay as long as I keep his bedding clean and everything, and make sure that he's actually perched at night with his feet properly tucked underneath him and not hanging again. Doesn't look like we're dipping too deep below freezing again for the foreseeable future, at least. He'd probably be happy to have more space again, too... 🤔

The toes are still swollen and reddish. Looks like his outer toe (with the most feathering) didn't sustain much damage, but the middle and inner toes definitely look puffy still. I'm not really sure how long it would take for them to start turning if they're going to fall off, so I don't know if I should be optimistic that they seem to have circulation in them with that reddish color or not. :fl

Back
Top Bottom