Piped Eggs

Bosque

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Arizona
Hi,

I am incubating chicken eggs along with three pheasant eggs. The chicks were due to hatch on Wednesday and the pheasant eggs are not due to hatch till Sunday. On Wednesday, the three pheasant eggs have piped, but nothing more since then. Is that normal? Maybe the heat of having them shipped in the summer heat had something to do with it. Do you think that they will hatch on Sunday after they piped 4 days early?

Thanks,

Bosque

Not Likely... In My Experience If They Pip And Dont Get Out In A Reasonable Time--- 24 Hrs---- They End Up Getting Shrink Wrapped By The Inner Membrane Drying Out And They Suffocate, Or They Get Glued In From Drying Out In The Shell. If You Look Into The Pips Do You See Movement? Do You Hear Anything Coming From The Eggs? Chirps? Taps?

I still see a little movement at the pip hole. The humidity is 88% and i have not opened the home made bator since yesterday when I took out the last chicken. Should i help them out or give it another 24 hours????

Quote:
THATS PERSONAL PREFERENCE--- LOTSA FOLK SAY THAT A HELPED CHICK RARELY SURVIVES, I HAVE HAD MIXED RESULTS PERSONALLY. I HAVE HAD A MIXED SUCCESS RATIO WITH IT. I FIGURE IF I DONT HELP IT WILL SURELY DIE SO I OPEN THEM, BUT MANY MANY MANY FOLKS ON HERE WILL TELL YOU NO. ITS YOUR EGGS, AND WILL BE YOUR BIRDS--- THE ANSWER HAS TO BE YOUR ANSWER. GOOD LUCK WITH THEM!

Well guess what!!! I woke up this morning at 4 am to chirping from the bator. When I looked inside, all of the pheasants had hatched!!! They are so amazing. I left them in the bator and went back to sleep while they dried.
One of them has a bent foot. Will it streighten over time or will I have a little "hoppy?" It is amazing such a large creature came from such a little egg.
I was thinking about selling them, but after all of this work, they are now part of my family.
Thanks everyone.
Bosque

Bent Foot? As In Crooked Toes? If So Just Gently Straiten Them Out And Massage For A Lil While Each Day And They May Straiten Out For You.

That is GREAT to hear!!! So happy for you.
big_smile.png
Good luck with your little "hoppy". I had one that hatched late (got stuck in the shell and had to help him out) and had REALLY crooked toes. Tried everything from taping them straight to having the vet put little wood splints on him. The best thing that worked for him was JJMR794 suggestion.

funny but its crazy what a little rub down will do for a bird. I had a kid drop a 2x4 on a 4 week old chick and break its leg... i left it alone for about 3 days then my friend krystal came over and massaged that danged birds leg and it started walking!!! and it was definetly BROKEN!!! it was just shy of a compound fracture...... anyway I named that chicken krystal... after my friend who fixed her! she came over every day for like a week and massaged that darn chicken back to health!

Back
Top Bottom