Pipped but not coming out

HeartsHolly17

Chirping
Apr 11, 2020
I have a pigeon that has been trying to get out for about two days now. I can hear him tapping on the egg but he's only made a little hole and his beak-tip is sticking out. since he only made a little hole to breathe from instead of scoring around the egg I'm concerned that he's not doing too well and he's going to die before he comes out. I gently tapped around the hole to loosen up the shell so he can push out if he can't get his beak back in to peck, but I'm worried about him surviving.

Should I just leave him be? I know you can't help them get out because you can risk them bleeding out, but I'm a bit concerned that he can't do it on his own because his beak is sticking out. I have lots of water in the incubator and the temp is at 99.5F so he should be ok temp and humidity-wise, but I'm still very worried.

I have a pigeon that has been trying to get out for about two days now. I can hear him tapping on the egg but he's only made a little hole and his beak-tip is sticking out. since he only made a little hole to breathe from instead of scoring around the egg I'm concerned that he's not doing too well and he's going to die before he comes out. I gently tapped around the hole to loosen up the shell so he can push out if he can't get his beak back in to peck, but I'm worried about him surviving.

Should I just leave him be? I know you can't help them get out because you can risk them bleeding out, but I'm a bit concerned that he can't do it on his own because his beak is sticking out. I have lots of water in the incubator and the temp is at 99.5F so he should be ok temp and humidity-wise, but I'm still very worried.
This is a pigeon egg right?
I don’t know anything about pigeons but I can tag some people who do
@backyard pigeons @sourland @biophiliac @cavemanrich

@Pyxis @sourland @Old_Strain_Lover
I've tagged some members who can answer with more authority than me.

First, what day of incubation is this egg/chick on?
If it's at the full 18 days, I think it may need an assist to hatch.
@Pyxis has an excellent article on the subject.
Are there no parents to raise this chick? Have you hand raised pigeons before? (Asking because you mentioned an incubator)

Hey there! Welcome to the pigeon side of things!

I have never incubated a pigeon egg before, simply because hand raising them is incredibly difficult. The parents are much better at it than we are. But, when I have eggs hatching under adults, its not uncommon for them to be pipped for 2 days before hatching. What day of incubation is this?

Why are you incubating the egg? Do you have pigeon parents with eggs due to hatch very soon? If so, sneak the egg under them. I personally don't know how to help you about whether to assist hatching or not, but if you do, just know the toughest parts are yet to come. Hand feeding is not easy.

@Pyxis @sourland @Old_Strain_Lover
I've tagged some members who can answer with more authority than me.

First, what day of incubation is this egg/chick on?
If it's at the full 18 days, I think it may need an assist to hatch.
@Pyxis has an excellent article on the subject.
Are there no parents to raise this chick? Have you hand raised pigeons before? (Asking because you mentioned an incubator)

It’s on day 19. They laid two eggs and I put one in my incubator and left one with the parents to observe if they were good parents because this is the mom’s first clutch. The mother refused to sit on the egg and left the dad to do everything which obviously didn’t work out due to him needing a break every now and then. The egg I left rotted and wasn’t being sat on for half the day and at that point the egg in the incubator was too developed for me to throw it away with a good conscience

Hey there! Welcome to the pigeon side of things!

I have never incubated a pigeon egg before, simply because hand raising them is incredibly difficult. The parents are much better at it than we are. But, when I have eggs hatching under adults, its not uncommon for them to be pipped for 2 days before hatching. What day of incubation is this?

Why are you incubating the egg? Do you have pigeon parents with eggs due to hatch very soon? If so, sneak the egg under them. I personally don't know how to help you about whether to assist hatching or not, but if you do, just know the toughest parts are yet to come. Hand feeding is not easy.

It’s on day 19, it pipped on 17. The parents laid two eggs and I took one and put it in the incubator so I could see if they’d Sit since the mom is young and inexperienced. The mom didn’t want anything to do with the nest and let the male do everything so when he got off to rest she didn’t sit and the egg died and they abandoned it. The egg I kept was developing nicely and I just didn’t have the heart to throw it out

It’s on day 19. They laid two eggs and I put one in my incubator and left one with the parents to observe if they were good parents because this is the mom’s first clutch. The mother refused to sit on the egg and left the dad to do everything which obviously didn’t work out due to him needing a break every now and then. The egg I left rotted and wasn’t being sat on for half the day and at that point the egg in the incubator was too developed for me to throw it away with a good conscience
,,So I think you should very carefully remove small pieces of shell around the pip, stopping each time to check for bleeding. I sent you a link to an article on how to do this see post #4.
Advice given by @backyard pigeons is also very good.

Back
Top Bottom