Pipped egg accidentally hit with water

Has it hatched yet? If you have some olive oil, you can put a little bit on the membrane to help it from drying out.
I saw coconut oil in a post, I have some of that, I’m afraid I’d cover up his air intake and drown him

Has it hatched yet? If you have some olive oil, you can put a little bit on the membrane to help it from drying out.
He made it out just fine! Still had some gunk on him though and took almost 48 hours! The yellow one

Attachments

• 564D992B-7137-4B4C-9410-2A9629FEB3C4.jpeg
    564D992B-7137-4B4C-9410-2A9629FEB3C4.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 7
He made it out just fine! Still had some gunk on him though and took almost 48 hours! The yellow one
That's not 'uncommon' for them to take 36 to 48 hours from pip to hatch. The 'gunk' as you put it, is a sign that the %Rh was a little high, even for duck eggs. Glad it finally hatched!

That's not 'uncommon' for them to take 36 to 48 hours from pip to hatch. The 'gunk' as you put it, is a sign that the %Rh was a little high, even for duck eggs. Glad it finally hatched!
I have a few little giants and they can be a challenge. It sounds like the sensor went bad in yours. I had that happen and they replaced it when I called customer service. They also sell a replacement for the digital controller and a new sensor for about $35. The humidity sensor doesn't ever change unless it's above 50%, it just shows 48. You probably already have a seperate humidity sensor, if not you can find a wireless one that uses Bluetooth and links to an Android app to record humidity and temperature for about $5 on ebay. They do take about 3 weeks to arrive though.

I wouldn't recommend oiling the membrane. It reduces porisity and it doesn't rehydrate the membrane. When it's yellow it's still flexible, but harder for the bird to tear. Brown or tan and it's dry and will either be papery or leathery depending on how wet the egg is. With your egg I would have torn away the dry membrane without enlarging the hole so that you could see the bill.

I'm glad it worked out well.

I have a few little giants and they can be a challenge. It sounds like the sensor went bad in yours. I had that happen and they replaced it when I called customer service. They also sell a replacement for the digital controller and a new sensor for about $35. The humidity sensor doesn't ever change unless it's above 50%, it just shows 48. You probably already have a seperate humidity sensor, if not you can find a wireless one that uses Bluetooth and links to an Android app to record humidity and temperature for about $5 on ebay. They do take about 3 weeks to arrive though.

I wouldn't recommend oiling the membrane. It reduces porisity and it doesn't rehydrate the membrane. When it's yellow it's still flexible, but harder for the bird to tear. Brown or tan and it's dry and will either be papery or leathery depending on how wet the egg is. With your egg I would have torn away the dry membrane without enlarging the hole so that you could see the bill.

I'm glad it worked out well.
Thank you, this is very helpful, I did get a different humidity sensor but that one shit the bed in a week as well. I just ordered the one you suggested

Back
Top Bottom