Pipped wrong end - any chance?

marti77

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
UK
Hi all,
One of my ducklings have pipped at the wrong end and I assume it died as there's a lot of blood, it must have hit a vein.
I was away for 5 hrs... :-(
Is there a point in taking it out or is it definitely gone?
Pic:

I did but it was already dead as I suspected. :-((
Now only two more to go but i'm not too optimistic... :-(

Hi,
Something strange with this hatch, I went to check on one of the eggs that are still in there as I was sure i saw movement earlier this morning... And just had a gut feeling. I never assisted any eggs (this is my second hatch) but wanted to candle when i discovered the little guy pipped at the wrong end as well.
I thought it was gone but it made some noise when i took a tiny piece of shell away, so i opened the membrane for him to be able to breathe (i don't know if this was a good idea... I tried to listen earlier and i haven't even heard tapping) it's making efforts to come out tbut the tapping is really faint and the membrane looks really dry. I've put it back in the incubator with loads of fresh moistened paper towels. To be honest I'm dreading the rest... I've got rather wobbly hands but looking at the dry membrane I don't think it'll come
Out on it's own (even the inner membrane looks dry and vein free) but I don't want to rush in before he's absorbed the yolk. How long should I wait for?

Thanks if anyone can help...

hi
i just had a bad hatch of runner ducks. of the 5 i had at lockdown. 4 had internally pipped but 3 of those died within 24 hours and the one left i helped a lot. he/she is doing very well now 3 days later.

mine were all with tough slightly shrunk membranes. it looked parchment white but the inner membrane was quite sticky in places. if you read up on the assisted hatch thread then if you decide to help some more, proceed slowly.

q tips help to damp the membrane . as i peeled some back there was some blood. at that point some people use cornstarch/cornflour to stop the bleeding but i just put it back in the bator for a while.

if the duckling is already 28 days then there's a good chance it is ready. mine was 2 days early but still had the yolk sac absorbed.

i hope it makes it. it is so disappointing to lose them at the end...

esther5, thanks for the advice, i'll try and help him a bit more once my kids have gone to bed.
So have you got 2 ducklings now? Must have been quite stressful. :-(

Q tips dipped in olive oils also works great....then no dripping of water into the nostrils accidentally. It keeps the membrane more soft longer in my opinion.

Q tips dipped in olive oils also works great....then no dripping of water into the nostrils accidentally. It keeps the membrane more soft longer in my opinion.

Thank you sooo much for this tip, I am sure oil helped a great deal as I left the little one in the incubator evernight but rhe membrane disn't dry out too much. It made no progress so I had toake the hole a nit bigger on Monday morning and within a few hours it hached on his own! His belly was swollen and he still has a bit of 'string' attached but the swelling seems to be going down. He's spent 24 hrs in the incy to dry and gather strenght but now i've risked putting him back with the others as he was quite well but also lonely. I know i still have to watch him but he's settled well with the others and is eating and drinking well and not lethargic, his legs are getting stronger so i'm hopeful.thanks again for all the input

Back
Top Bottom