Pipped wrong end, ive stRyed to assist but done it wrong

angelreyne

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2020
I have 2 duck eggs that pipped early and at the small end. I left them more than 24 hours with no progress so staRted to help one but could see veins and duck is yawning etc so let it alone. By the time I got to that conclusion though, the duck now has no shell around that part, where the beak is and has started to dry out. Im using coconut oil and damp tissues in incubator to keep moist and have just put small hole in air sac end to see where its at, there's a big red vein going straight thru the middle. Will have to probably assist when its time, in a few hours I think. Any advice ? Do I open from air sac or where beak is? Or won't it matter by then. Have another one in same boat, but at this staGe just a hole in wrong end, may be able to help itself once its ready

Wait wait wait at least 48 hours from pip before you do anything else. Ducks are slow. As long as they are yawning and chewing they are not done. Come back early in the morning and update me and I will help. Sounds like they have safety holes which is the Important part. We will talk early tomorrow. Ducks will make you chew your fingers off.

One has hatched, came out in a panic, there was a bit of blood but is otherwise doing fine. Since had another one zip (the ladt one of the batch) and hatch on its own, The other one im sure is ready but stuck

Wait wait wait at least 48 hours from pip before you do anything else. Ducks are slow. As long as they are yawning and chewing they are not done. Come back early in the morning and update me and I will help. Sounds like they have safety holes which is the Important part. We will talk early tomorrow. Ducks will make you chew your fingers off.
One has hatched, came out in a panic, there was a bit of blood but is otherwise doing fine. Since had another one zip (the ladt one of the batch) and hatch on its own, The other one im sure is ready but stuck and getting weak

Make a big enough hole so you can see its bill, if you get any blood stop! Make sure he's not yawning or chewing. If not ma!e the hole a little bigger. Any blood stop, he's not done. Come back to me once you see his bill. Is he peeping?

His bills always been visible, he pipped a big hole into the small end of the shell yesterday and has been like that since. I have opened it up a bit more and left him alone to ingest his yolk, hes no longer yawning etc, but isn't peeping either.

Ok peel him out a little more. Is he still breathing? Remember any blood stop. Usually when stuck the peep like mad as if yelling get me out. When you touch his bill does he react?

He is re active and breathing, but not peeping. Although he has done. Does that mean he's not ready? and I've peeled as much away as I can without hitting any blood vessels. I have 2 hatched babies in with him so he's getting knocked around a bit, but isn't quite ready. Its nearly 11pm here and im worried if I go to bed he won't have survived the night. I cant see why he wouldn't be ready though, all the others ha ve hatched

Ok peel him out a little more. Is he still breathing? Remember any blood stop. Usually when stuck the peep like mad as if yelling get me out. When you touch his bill does he react?
So ive checked again and blood vessels have all but gone, but i can see there's still some yolk. Have put a towel in inc. To seperate and stop other ducks from knocking him around and covered memebrane in coconut oil. Going to try and get a couple hours sleep then will check in him again.

I would get those other babies out and in the brooder. I only keep mine in the bator for 30 minutes to an hour. I've had hatched ducklings roll an egg up on themselves and suffocate. Learned the hard way its better to get them out sooner and pop them under the heat in your brooder. Do make sure the brooder is pre warmed.

Back
Top Bottom