Pit Bulls

muddyhorse

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
Bloomsdale, MO
So this morning at the bus stop our neighbor presented me with a Pit bull puppy. He was dumped there Saturday and they have a full house (3 boys under 6 and 2 puppies). Today is hubbys birthday so guess what he got
big_smile.png
. the little guy is adorable about 4-5 months old. our chihuahua has already kicked his butt twice so he know his place now. my only concern is that he seems to have some mange on his back. are they more prone to this than other breeds ? If nobody claims him ( I notified the sheriff and the gas station) his is going in Friday for the big snip.

If it is red mange which technically is a mite, it is often reoccuring, but treatable. He could be allergic to fleas...my first Pit was, and that is also treatable. Pics would help. They are no more prone to disease than any other dog IMO...just maybe some weirder conditions like flea allergy but nothing really bad in my experience. I have been raising them for 10 years or so, and they are relatively healthy. They DO take A LOT of patience to raise though! i dunno how I did it
lol.png

I know that boxers are more suceptable to mange I wasn't sure if pits were too.
I have no way of knowing if he is pure bred or not.
38899_100_1054.jpg

he is fitting in well with the pack
38899_100_1056.jpg

I have two good friends that are dog trainers one works for support dogs of ST Louis training assiatance dogs, the other claims to have trained Noah's dogs when he got off the boat her Goldens have won titles in everything from hunting, conformation to rally. My weim is a certified therapy dog and the Chi visits too. the catahoula well......she is a heck of a possum dog. I'm hoping this little guy will be a good therapy boy once he settles down.

Awww, he is very cute! Mange treatment depends on the type of mites- Sarcoptes or Demodex. A skin scraping will determine that. Lyme Sulfur Dip for Sarcoptes and Mitaban for Demodex. Sarcoptic mange mites will get on people (very itchy), demodex will not. They look like tiny cigars on the microscope. Scabies are round.
wink.png

There are two types of mange, one is contagious while the other is not. I would air on the side of caution and keep him separate from the other dogs until a vet takes a look at him. It's nice of you to take him in. There are too many of these pit bulls and pit mixes in the shelters. If you rent just make sure you are allowed to have a pit bull. It would be harder on you if you didn't check and ended up having to re-home him because your landlords insurance company says no to pit bulls. Not trying to bum you out, just always being practical!!

we own a farm so keeping him is not a problem.
big_smile.png
I did a scraping but I didn't find anything. On closer inspection It looks more like an allergy rash. I tried to get a pick but none came out well.

Seems to me that the vet I used to work for mentioned that Demodex Mange was fairly common in Pits.

Back
Top Bottom