How much Corid to put into 9 week old Bantams water? Plus I need general info on Cocci.

T-R-O-U-B-L-E

I GOT DUCCLES
Jan 17, 2022
This morning, I got 2 of my cockerels caged up to try and sale and before our yard sale even started, one of them pooped a bloody stool. Pretty much completely blood. I have noticed this bird staying toward the back of the coop, but I figured it was just his personality because he is very skittish. Unfortunately I did not get any pictures of the poo, but I am leaving him seperated in his own carrier with just a puppy pad to watch him for now. I will be able to watch him all day Friday and Saturday. He is still eating, drinking, and preening. I am wondering how much Corid (9.6%) to put into his water. He is also in with 6 other birds, but I sold the other cockerel he was in with today before I realized what was going on. I honestly thought he ate something sharp. So, how should I treat the infected cockerel, and how should I treat his flock mates? Thanks!

@azygous
@Wyorp Rock
@aart

If he is acting sick and lethargic give him a drench dose first. That would be undiluted Corid in an oral syringe at around .3ml. Do it once a day for three days in addition to the Corid water.

You should treat the entire flock with Corid water. If one has coccidia, they all do. The mix ratio is two teaspoons to one gallon water, mixed fresh daily for five days. Wait a week and do another round.

Give liquids by syringe in this manner on the right side of the throat to avoid aspiration into the lungs.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

If he is acting sick and lethargic give him a drench dose first. That would be undiluted Corid in an oral syringe at around .3ml. Do it once a day for three days in addition to the Corid water.

You should treat the entire flock with Corid water. If one has coccidia, they all do. The mix ratio is two teaspoons to one gallon water, mixed fresh daily for five days. Wait a week and do another round.

Give liquids by syringe in this manner on the right side of the throat to avoid aspiration into the lungs. View attachment 3220106
Ok. He is eating fine and honestly is acting pretty normal at this point. If anything changes I will give him a drench dose. Should I just give Corid Water to the birds he was in with? I also have 2 other flocks that are in coops next to his. How long for the infected cockerel? How long for his flockmates?

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp per gallon of water give for 5-7 days.

Did you check his vent to make sure there's not another source for the blood like a prolapse or wound?

Straight blood, the Corid may help, but you may need to use Endocox (Toltrazuril) to see better results.

I do agree, I would treat all the youngsters with the Corid.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp per gallon of water give for 5-7 days.

Did you check his vent to make sure there's not another source for the blood like a prolapse or wound?

Straight blood, the Corid may help, but you may need to use Endocox (Toltrazuril) to see better results.

I do agree, I would treat all the youngsters with the Corid.
I made a quart waterer for him and put 2.5 ML of Corid in. I have checked in and around his vent. I will fix some Corid water for the other chicks in the morning before I put them outside. I am also going to scrape the first layer of dirt out of their coop.

I made a quart waterer for him and put 2.5 ML of Corid in. I have checked in and around his vent. I will fix some Corid water for the other chicks in the morning before I put them outside. I am also going to scrape the first layer of dirt out of their coop.
Coccidia are naturally found in the soil/dirt and their poop.
If the coop needs tidying up, then clean it, but scraping the first layer of dirt is not practical, nor beneficial, imho.

Coccidia are naturally found in the soil/dirt and their poop.
If the coop needs tidying up, then clean it, but scraping the first layer of dirt is not practical, nor beneficial, imho.
Ok. I'm going to do it to give fresh, poop free dirt. I dont mind to do it and can't hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom