PITBULL ATTACK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh my gosh i thought it was really under attack!! I read the captions and the photos took forevr to load
th.gif

CUTE though!

Well, when I saw this post I was just going to put a "me too!" because my neighbor's pit bull has killed two of my chickens. One was a couple of weeks ago, and the other was an hour ago - I happened to walk outside just as it was streaking by me, chasing my pullets. I ran after it, screaming, and caught up to it as it had one of my Columbian Wyandotte's in its mouth. I started screaming at it and pulling at its collar (maybe I should have shouted "drop it" but I wasn't thinking) and in two seconds "Dandelion" was dead. My daughters and I haven't been able to stop crying. This dog also chased our 13 year old cat 20 feet up a tree, from which she fell and had to go to the vet because she was limping so badly afterward. I am not a hater - not of the dog, who can't help it, but of the owner, who recently moved next door and knows his animals has a taste for mine. Sadly, my chickens will never be allowed out of the coop again after tonight. Not much of a life I can give them - thinking I should give them away.

Wow, that's too bad. You're in CT right? I think you can pick one of these up in Southport or New Haven (can't remember). It will put a permanent end to your Pit Bull problems:

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090417073534/guns/images/1/13/Mini-14GB.jpg

Just remember, it's not really the dog's fault. He's just being a terrier. All terriers were bred to kill things. It's in their nature. No amount of babying a Pit Bull will ever change it from what it is - a dog bred to kill.

I recently adopted a 9 yo Queensland Heeler that had lived in the city all his life...had never seen a cow. When I got him home, all he wanted to do was chase the cattle out front and still runs the wayward cow out of the yard when they wander in. I've never seen a better indicator of how strong instinct can be. The same holds true for all breeds.

Just remember, it's not really the dog's fault.  He's just being a terrier.  All terriers were bred to kill things.  It's in their nature.  No amount of babying a Pit Bull will ever change it from what it is - a dog bred to kill.
my current 3 + my previous 3 and all the ones we fostered beg to differ....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...12371044470.2017362.1082726875&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...12371044470.2017362.1082726875&type=3&theater

You've been lucky I'd say.

I had a rooster who, until yesterday, was surrounded by my two ACDs, the neighbor's two black labs and my other neighbor's two Pits. Guess which pair killed him?

Don't get me wrong, on a large enough piece of land where rodent control and larger varmint (coyote, badger, raccoon, feral hog, etc.) control are necessary, they're great dogs....because they excel at killing things....which is what they were bred to do.

For hundreds of years, the best killers were selected to be the next generation's sires/dams. It's not the dog's fault that humans bred them to be the best at killing.

It is however the fault of modern day owners who make the false assumption that these are run of the mill dogs. They are not. Such disrespect and ignorance of this breed tends to spawn tragedy.

Just because all dogs are cute when they are puppies does not mean they are all the same.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm... your argument using your neighbour's dogs as an example doesn't really hold water and completely weak to be honest..

I never said they are run of the mill dogs... not a beginer's dog and not for those who can't control and direct them to be honest.

Luck has nothing to do with it, knowing what to expect from them does. My dogs are fed whole prey and they can hunt among livestocks without touching any of the ones they're not suppose to.... I can even leave them in the chicken house at night with the chickens if need be.

if people think it's how they were raised then I say no, it's not. It's how they are manage day to day...

Being German Shepherds lovers-owners-breeders-importers here,your catchy title sparked my interest. It's amazing what incompetent owners can do to the reputation of a breed of dog. Every dog breed was originally bred for a specific purpose. Some of those specific purposes are no longer needed or desired in todays society. Yet each breed is still raised and cared for by people,who has the most direct effect on the eventual outcome of the dog when it's a mature adult. Dogs behavior,temprement and drives all are influenced by us.Naturallly some is thru breeding.German Shepherds for example are NOT great retrievers,yet it is required of them to retrieve when trying for a working title such as a Sch or IPO.
There are many crazy people out there that exploit dogs for purposes they were not intended for. Yet these same people are not qualified to put any kind of title on a dog,they are not qualified,nor smart enough to do so.It's this same mindset that has given certain breeds of dogs the undeserved reputation they now have that will not go away easily.Insurance companies are very quick to ask questions on dog ownership and then breed specific questions.These same companies that hires bean counters to come up with inflated premium rates do not own the breeds they underwrite policies on.Many companies will not offer liability insurance on specific breeds of dogs and Pit Bulls are one of them. A lot more goes into dog ownership,than just feeding and watering each day.Your addition will be in a great setting while growing up,and easily should not be catagorized as a "mean" dog.Dogs by nature crave human attention,,they strive only to please us no matter what we ask of them.So once again,a mature grown adult dog,is a reflection of it's owner.

Thanks, but I'll give my opinion when and where I please, to include your dogs. My living with them has nothing to do with this conversation and is the typical weak argument proffered by many Pit owners who actually believe they can nurture the dog to be something it's not.

You are correct that this dog is not for someone who cant' control it. I would go further and state it's not for 85% of the population. The breed has its place, but its place is not as common as most people want to believe. It sounds like you realize that your dogs are the natural bred killers I spoke of. You respect that in them and spend the necessary time with them to better control that instinct. A word of advice though my little Kiwi - always carry a break stick with you. You never know when Mother Nature is going to whisper in that dog's ear.

edited by staff

I respect the tenacity, the strength and personality of the breed... as born killer that's one of the biggest myth you can perpetuate, even a wild wolf pup will need to be taught to hunt and kill by it's mum.

edited by staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom