Pitbull showers Vancouver news anchor with kisses

My goodness! This thread has MADE MY DAY. My week, in fact. I wonder if there's a YouTube video of that, or something similar? If it is, I'm getting the link printed out on business cards and I'm putting them everywhere. Pits & boxers are my favorite breeds, and I've got a year and a half until I move out and get a pit. They're amazing dogs. Idiotic owners make mean dogs.

Quote:
ya.gif
I'm glad to oblige. I"m sure it's gotta be YouTube-able,but I'm on dial-up and it would take me an hour to upload something like that. If someone finds it, please post the link so everyone can watch it.

Quote:
How did the Newfie kill someone? Drowned them in drool? Accidentally rolled over on them? Beat them to death with tail-wags?

LOL! Cocker spaniel gas might do a few people in! That must be how it happened.....

I was trying to picture a westie or cocker spaniel killing a person! That sharp little westie bark pierced someone's skull.......I guess you have to hear the rest of the story.....but didn't that guy die?

But seriously, I own a rhodesian ridgeback myself and she would defend me to the death I believe and would attack a person for me. I was not surprised to see a ridgeback made the list.

My comment to the very interesting study would be, how many parents during those same years killed their own children. Hence, who are more dangerous to children, dogs or their own parents?

Also during those years how many children were defended and saved by dogs, especially dogs in those particular breeds. Not that I would ever defend a dog that senselessly attacks, but sometimes you have to hear the whole story before you pass judgement.

I think a lot of pits are too friendly to make good watch dogs. My brother's Bull Terrier (Not a pit. Similar "Bully" breed) loves everyone. He would go with anyone, play with anyone. He barks, but it's a "let me out of here so we can play" barking. Pits that are agressive or mean have usually been trained or abused to get that way. Some people have mentioned some studies or statistics on biting/fatal attacks, and you really should cite your sources if possible. It's impossible to know whether to take them seriously if you don't know who did the study or compiled the info over what time period and where, etc.

Here's an interesting excerpt I got from an article on Dog Bites linked from the CDC to the Veterinary Association:

Which dogs bite?
An often-asked question is what breed or breeds of dogs are most “dangerous”? This inquiry can be
prompted by a serious attack by a specific dog, or it may be the result of media-driven portrayals of a specific
breed as “dangerous.” Although this is a common concern, singling out 1 or 2 breeds for control can
result in a false sense of accomplishment. Doing so ignores the true scope of the problem and will not
result in a responsible approach to protecting a community’s citizens.
Dog bite statistics are not really statistics, and they do not give an accurate picture of dogs that bite.
Invariably the numbers will show that dogs from popular large breeds are a problem. This should be expected,
because big dogs can physically do more damage if they do bite, and any popular breed has more individuals
that could bite. Dogs from small breeds also bite and are capable of causing severe injury. There are several
reasons why it is not possible to calculate a bite rate for a breed or to compare rates between breeds.
First, the breed of the biting dog may not be accurately recorded, and mixed-breed dogs are commonly
described as if they were purebreds. Second, the actual number of bites that occur in a community is not
known, especially if they did not result in serious injury. Third, the number of dogs of a particular breed
or combination of breeds in a community is not known, because it is rare for all dogs in a community
to be licensed, and existing licensing data is then incomplete. Breed data likely vary between communities,
states, or regions, and can even vary between neighborhoods within a community.
Wolf hybrids are just that: hybrids between wild and domestic canids. Their behavior is unpredictable
because of this hybridization, and they are usually treated as wild animals by local or state statutes. Wolf
hybrids are not addressed by this program. Sex differences do emerge from data on various
types of aggression. Intact (unneutered) male dogs represented 80% of dogs presented to veterinary behaviorists
for dominance aggression, the most commonly diagnosed type of aggression.1 Intact males are also
involved in 70 to 76% of reported dog bite incidents. The sex distribution of dogs inflicting unreported bites
is not known. Unspayed females that are not part of a carefully planned breeding program may attract freeroaming
males, which increases bite risk to people through increased exposure to unfamiliar dogs. Dams
are protective of their puppies and may bite those who try to handle the young. Unspayed females may also
contribute to the population of unwanted dogs that are often acquired by people who do not understand the
long-term commitment they have undertaken, that are surrendered to animal shelters where many are
destroyed, or that are turned loose under the misconception that they can successfully fend for themselves.

Quote:
So to correct a previous comment PITBULLS DO NOT HAVE LOCKING JAWS. They don't even bite with more force than other dogs. What they do is bite and hold (and we can't open jaws at 320 psi... human bites are around 340 psi).

If you actually read this study the incidents are compiled from MEDIA REPORTS! Not really valid info. So a reporter that can't tell a pitbull from a lab reports the breed that goes into these statistics. They also lump all pit bull breeds, pit bull type dogs and mixes. So lets take anywhere from the 5-27 pitbull looking breeds, add in vague mixes, let amateurs report it and then compare it to other individual breeds...right... that's nothing even close to science. Plus that the media doesn't even report all attacks. The most brutal attack I've ever seen (the person was almost killed, her scalp was hanging around her neck) was by a newfie/lab cross, never made the news. I've even been told by a reporter that they won't report it unless a pitbull is involved. So really a ridiculous "study".

ALL this study shows is that the MEDIA reports death by any dog that might look like a pitbull more often than other breeds.

I really wish they'd do a real study and get GOOD data on this. There is NONE out there, I've looked.

I just have to tell my pit bull story. This was MANY years ago. An Aunt of mine got a pit puppy. Cute little brindle female named Miles. She abused, starved, and neglected her from day one. A couple of years later, when she was a grown dog, I went to their house and saw her dragging around the yard by her front paws. I was informed she was hit by a car a week earlier. Tried to get her to let me take her but she refused and at that time there was no rescue group in the area to help. I waited til she was gone and dog napped her to take her to be put down. All the way there she kept kissing my hand so I just couldn't. Thankfully the vet was willing to take payments (I was a teenager at the time) and did about $3,000 of surgery on this little girl.
smile.png
She was one of the sweetest dogs I have ever owned. Not a good guard dog at all. She had been hurt so much, all she wanted was love. This baby had every reason to be a vicious animal and was not. There is just nothing I can hear that could make me fear pits as a whole after having her in my life!

Quote:
God, what a sweet story
hit.gif
. This is the type of pit I'm used to dealing with; hurt, in pain, but still so sweet and affectionate. That is their true nature. Thank you for saving her!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom