Pitbulls *#@^ Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
FOR THE COMMENT THAT PIT BULLS HAVE "OUTLIVED" THEIR USEFULNESS

ARTICLE FROM ~ WWW.LAWDOGSUSA.COM
LawDogsUSA is a 501(c)3 (pending) nonprofit organization whose sole purpose is to provide law enforcement agencies with high quality narcotics, explosives and arson detection dogs - free of charge.

In our first year of operation, LawDogsUSA has successfully donated narcotics and explosives detection dogs serving at U.S. ports of entry, on the Washington State ferry system, with the Washington State Patrol and other police K9 units.

Our detection dogs are extensively screened and only happy, extremely friendly, hard working, physically sound and highly talented dogs are placed.

All dogs are altered, vaccinated, microchipped; we x-ray hips and offer a veterinarian health certificate on each dog we place.

While we offer a variety of breeds, we have found the American pit bull to be superior as a narcotics and explosives detection dog. Please note: due to their inherent "people friendly" nature, we do NOT offer American pit bulls as "biting" (patrol) dogs. LawDogsUSA offers sweet natured, frriendly detection dogs only.

Many trainers who have only worked with European sheepdog breeds haven't a clue about the best kept secret in modern detection work...
America’s New Secret Weapon

They are smaller and much more nimble than a German shepherd; friendlier and safer to handle then the average Belgian malinois and shed less than a Labrador retriever. Records with the American Temperament Testing Society (ATTS) show them with a higher passing rate for excellent, friendly temperament than the golden retriever. And Washington’s premier law enforcement agency, The Washington State Patrol, one of the nation’s premiere law enforcement agencies, has more of them working the streets and in training as narcotics and explosives detection K-9s than members of any other pure breed. They are truly the best kept secret weapon in law enforcement’s fight against terror plots and illegal narcotics trafficking.

They are American Pit Bulls.

That’s right. You read that correctly.

After two decades taking their turn - like the Doberman before them - as the fad "bad boy" dog attracting irresponsible and even criminal owners, today’s press coverage of the American pit bull is predictably all one sided. "Killer Pit Bull" is a sexy headline - it sells soap as the old saying goes - but it is hardly a fair and accurate representation of this old and storied breed. More importantly, while focusing on the misfortunes of only the “pit bull”, the media ignores those involving other breeds, thus giving an even more one-sided bias.

Numerically the American Pit Bull is far and away the most popular and populous breed in the United States today. Thousands upon thousands live as loving and loyal family pets, but because of their popularity, shelters are filled with thrown away pit bulls, and backyard breeders peddle purebred puppies at flea markets for $50. With this tragic overpopulation comes the unavoidable percentage of animals which are mentally damaged and mishandled by cruel, ignorant or even criminally minded dog owners. Due to their being a fad you’ve heard about the damaged dogs - but here you’ll hear about some of the vast majority of American Pit Bulls, those living as loving family pets or valued working dogs.

Like any performance bred working dog, the American Pit Bull can be a lot of dog. Strong, agile, intelligent, determined and very, very willing to please its owner; both good and bad dog owners have figured this out and use it to their own ends. So, while you might find a pit bull whose criminal owner sets it to guard illegal narcotics, you will also find pit bulls owned by law enforcement locating those drugs. There is no “bad breed”.

WHAT MAKES THEM SO GOOD AT DETECTION?

To understand why the American Pit Bull is poised to become America’s premiere detection dog breed, it is first necessary to understand that the "damaged" dog presented by the media doing something tragic is just that - a damaged dog. Damaged by poor breeding practices, poor upbringing, poor management. Damaged by twenty years of being used and abused by fad breeders, punks and criminals trying to create a dog as damaged and anti-social as they are. These damaged animals do not represent what a typical or true representative of the American pit bull breed is. Add to that, despite its popularity, it is a breed which remains a riddle wrapped in an enigma to the vast majority of police dog trainers. While tough on the outside, American Pit Bulls are gooey soft inside and crumble under corrections a German Shepherd or Rottweiler would shrug off. They want to please - desperately.

So what is a "real" American pit bull like?

They are a medium sized dog, weighing between 35 and 65 pounds. They come in many colors and ears can be cropped or left natural. A correct pit bull is not overly short or stocky, and has good length of leg and neck. Bred for centuries to grip run-a-way cattle by the nose (in effect becoming a living nose ring to bring the animal under control) they have a muzzle of medium length and a durable build. The short “bulldog” nose of the show breeds are useless to a real bull working animal. They have a friendly, outgoing nature and a "bombproof" temperament with humans. Their rough and tumble history provides that solid temperament. Dogs being set on bulls, boars, bears or other dogs could never lash out at owners or at referees in the "pit" with them, nor would a dog who bit while being tended for severe injuries be used for breeding. No matter how badly injured, a true pit bull will never lash out at a human. Amicability to humans is bred into the genetics of the purebred American pit bull.

Performance bred lines of these dogs are registered as American Pit Bulls, while show bred lines have become known as the American Staffordshire and Staffordshire Bull. While the three breeds have minor differences, most people cannot tell them apart. Today there is a growing trend among fad breeders to increase the size of their "pit bulls" by adding in mastiffs and other breeds but these larger animals do not have the stable temperament nor the sound physical build of a true purebred American Pit Bull. Any “pit bull” over 70 pounds should have its “purebred” status questioned.

Ironically what sets the American Pit Bull apart from many other breeds utilized by police is their love of humans. Pit bulls would make a poor choice as a "patrol" dog trained to bite suspects. Pit bulls with correct temperament would much rather lick than bite, and most lack the "defensive drive" to guard. Walking down the Seattle Coleman ferry dock past the Washington State Patrol cars with bomb detection dogs inside, pedestrians evoke sharp barking from the Labradors, German Shepherds, Malinois and other dogs, while K-9 Neville, K-9 Sampson and K-9 X-Dog, the American Pit Bulls, leans up against window barrier begging for attention.

What the pit bull has - in spades - is grit. A determination of mind not found in breeds created upon a lesser forge. Give him a job and he’ll get ‘er done. It is a common feature of the breed to have an extremely strong "prey" or "toy" drive, meaning the dog will do anything for the chance to grip and play with a toy. And that is where detection dog training comes in.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Thank you for all the condolences. I couldn't bring myself to get pictures yesterday. It was hard enough tending to his one ear. He will probably lose that ear. The other male had a tear in his hind leg about 7" long. The neighbors came over yesterday to tell me that they needed another day to get rid of them. They also asked what they owed me and sincerely asked to see the pigs. I declined the money or pig replacement as long as they survive. I personally will not get a pitbull but, everyone should be entitled to their preference of breed. Owner responsibility is a major part of it. I said I would never get a Rottie until someone dumped a mutt rottie puppy on the dirt road by my house. Anyone that is a welcome guest at my house has to be careful of his tail. Buddy will beat himself to death wagging his tail.
BTW did yall go on your trip, how was it?
Take care, Miriam

It was great other than wondering about the animals. I will have to try and get the video of the water spout that i have on here.​

Your a great, understanding person and true animal lover. Your neighbors sound like they feel terrible and it also sounds like you are being extremely nice to them. We need more folks like you. With your care I'm sure your piggy will be ok.

To those who have sent me articles on Pit bulls. Please take a reading comprehension class so that you can understand what you send. Did you read the article at all?

1) The article maintains that Pits are bred for fighting (killing) of other animals. Reading comprehension is a must. referees in the "pit" with them

2) They are good animals for drug enforcers, again a trained, licensed person where the animal is kept in an enclosed environment. All dogs are altered, vaccinated, microchipped; we x-ray hips and offer a veterinarian health certificate on each dog we place.

3) They are being bred/crossbred by people w/no abilities so that we are ending up w/a breed that is "damaged". tragic overpopulation comes the unavoidable percentage of animals which are mentally damaged and mishandled by cruel, ignorant or even criminally minded dog owners.

4) The difference between a dalmation biting your dog vs a pit bull/pitcross is that the dalmation bite sends you to vet where a pit sends you to morgue.

5) Pits are friendly to people normally but when they go over the line, damage will be done.

6) Same person who defends Pits in the average person's hands is the same person who sees nothing wrong w/giving a loaded gun to a child. There is nothing wrong w/guns--I hunt--but you don't give loaded guns to untrained people.

Last edited:
I've heard this post and I am not a pitbull lover. But I have to say not all pitbulls are raised for fighting. I don't and won't own one but my daughter has three. All three of these dogs are the friendlist dogs. They will kill you with kindness. I think if you know the lineage of the dog it makes a difference. Around here fmost people have pitbulls. Like I said I won't but most of the dogs around here are friendly. My daughters puppy who is 4 months old is afraid of its own shadow. She has bottle fed this puppy from day one and you culdn't want a friendlier puppy. I used to work with a dog rescue group and I can tell you I have seen many different breeds as well as mutts who were just as mean as a pitbull. The difference is people are afraid of their bite. A pit will hold on for dear life. Dogs generally reflect their owners. Its unfornuate but true.If a dog is not socialized its going to be mean.

IN REPLY TO THIS COMMENT~
Same person who defends Pits in the average person's hands is the same person who sees nothing wrong w/giving a loaded gun to a child. There is nothing wrong w/guns--I hunt--but you don't give loaded guns to untrained people.
I HAVE AND AWESOME FULL BLOODED RED NOSE PIT BULL A 15 YR. OLD SON & A 15 MONTH OLD DAUGHTER~ I DON'T OWN A GUN.
IF IT WASN'T FOR MY GERMAN SHEP/BOXER MIX'S INTIMIDATING GROWL & BARK. MY PITTY WOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN STOLEN. HE FINDS NO STRANGERS.

JUST A LIL INFO: EVERY ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER IN MY COUNTY OWNS A PIT BULL.

MIKKI: YOU ARE CORRECT,WE WALK OUR NEIGHBORHOOD EVERYDAY AND SOME OF THE MEANEST DOGS WE COME ACROSS ARE NOT PITS.
THIS IS REBEL
smile.png

rebelshoot021.jpg

MY PITTY REBEL W/ HIS BEST FRIEND NACHO MY CHIHUAHUA
REBNACH.jpg

deednotbreed.gif

OK folks. Let's not hijack Edbama's thread any further. We have made our opinions known and if a certain person wants to continue this than he should start his own thread, and maybe even give reading comprehension lessons(sorry, couldn't help myself).

Edbama, a bunch of us subscribed to this thread and want updates on your animals condition. I'd love to see a pic or two, more to see the pig, not the injury.

Best Wishes!!!

Don

You are right purple chicken. And Sorry again EDbama2 I didnt mean to turn your thread into such a mess. I was just simply telling of what damage I have wittnessed these dogs doing. Anyway hope you can get your poor pig going again. I think I might start a different thread and try to calm every thing down.

It is OK everyone, I don't get easily offended. I use to drive a cab in NYC and did 6 years in the Navy. LOL! I like when people can express themselves without getting hostile about it. Trying to influence your beliefs on others is not what we are about. Remember there are people that love their (____) more than anything else. You fill in the blank. With a pet name. LOL again! It looks like Making Bacon is going to pull through. Here are some pictures since they aren't so graphic now.
Chicks043.jpg
Chicks042.jpg
He will just be a little deformed but, will remind me of how the quickness to react to a bad situation can save any animal. Thank You everyone again. Temperatures and humidity have finally got them wallowing in the mud so they don't look pretty. But they love the mudhole.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom