Pittsburgh, PA (AKA Steeler Country, West PA, East OH, North WV)!

yes they are. it's very sad to see all the farm land going to developments and malls. from cranberry all the way over to rt 8. theres only like two real working dairy farms left in cranberry.
hit.gif

The kids and I are looking forward to going to the Butler Farm Show tomorrow. Tomorrow is the first day.
yippiechickie.gif
AAhhhh, yes.... the Farm Show... did a day or two at it every year while growing up. Haven't been there in past 25 yrs though. I imagine it hasn't changed too much though. I always liked it better than the Fair for some reason... always worth a day trip.

Hey fisherlady! I found a friend to join us for "Processing Day" next year...lol I was telling her about your equipment & she said she would be fine with meeting you in the middle as well. She can't bring herself to "do them in" yet but is fine with the rest of the process. I'm doing a duck for her this week in exchange for a huge metal tub to scald my ducks & turkeys in that are too big for my stock pot. I have 2 pekin drakes that we are going to each sample to see if we want to do any more, so I will likely do my "Thanksgiving" turkey at the same time. It has become obvious that she is a hen, yet she is already bigger & heavier than my heritage blue slate tom who is over a year old. She likely won't get much bigger being a hen, & she's plenty big enough for the 4 of us so I think her time is VERY soon.

Hey fisherlady! I found a friend to join us for "Processing Day" next year...lol I was telling her about your equipment & she said she would be fine with meeting you in the middle as well. She can't bring herself to "do them in" yet but is fine with the rest of the process. I'm doing a duck for her this week in exchange for a huge metal tub to scald my ducks & turkeys in that are too big for my stock pot. I have 2 pekin drakes that we are going to each sample to see if we want to do any more, so I will likely do my "Thanksgiving" turkey at the same time. It has become obvious that she is a hen, yet she is already bigger & heavier than my heritage blue slate tom who is over a year old. She likely won't get much bigger being a hen, & she's plenty big enough for the 4 of us so I think her time is VERY soon.
Sounds like a plan, we will work out details when the time comes.... hopefully it will be a drier day!
fl.gif

Hi Percysmom!! I'm just south of Butler.

I can honestly say that this is the first year that I went to the farm show with a little more knowledge of what to look for in chickens with everything I have learned here. I wish I would have seen more breeds there. Not many. Lots of meat chickens there.
Has anyone ever been to Roth Milling Co. In Prospect to get grains for feed? I want to go check it out but didn't know if it was worth it.

Back
Top Bottom