Placement of eggs in incubator

cici_p

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
After searching and reading and researching. . .I still am confused about how to put my eggs in my (homemade) incubator. Is it better to lie them on their side for the majority of the time, or should I prop them (small end down) in a carton and alternate raising sides of the carton?? Which is better, or does it matter. I am stressing out over this one thing, I just want to do everything perfectly!

I had planned on putting them in the carton for hatching, but thought I was supposed to lay them down until day 18. Now I am freaking out seeing them lie on their sides like that; I keep thinking that the small end should still be down like when I set them before putting them in the incubator, to help form the air bubble. . . this is seriously going to keep me awake tonight!

Last edited:
Most of the time it doesn't matter. I've incubated in cartons for 2 reasons. One is the ease of turning many eggs or small eggs (or many small eggs). Try turning button eggs one by one or 200 coturnix eggs one by one. It's much faster to turn a carton with 20 around and with less chance of dropping them. The 2nd is shipped eggs with damaged air cells. It can help to keep the air cell at the top where it's suppose to be. If neither of those apply I just lay the eggs down.

agreed with cici...i have 2 bators that use both methods, but it is so much easier to turn them standing vertically in a carton/ egg turner.....of course on the last 3 days i take mine out of the turner and lay them on the bottom of the bator which i know some people dont do.

Eggs incubated under hens don't sit upright. The air cell is formed when the egg is laid. It will grow on the end of the egg as moisture leaves the egg during incubation. Unless it gets knocked loose such as during shipping.

So for shipped eggs it is better to stand upright such as in a carton or a turner??

If they are damaged. Not all have damaged or loose air cells and not all the damage can be fixed by just standing them upright. I've incubated more batches of shipped eggs laying them down than putting them in cartons. My last batch all had loose air cells floating around down the side of the egg when I turned it so they are all in cartons even though I wasn't initially planning on incubating them that way.

Some people do incubate all their eggs in a carton. It's really your choice.

choice. . .wha?
hide.gif
You mean I have to <gulp> decide?
hu.gif

Can't someone just tell me what to do!
barnie.gif

I know everyone on here is much more
bow.gif
than me

LOL
How will I ever make it to
jumpy.gif
without
sickbyc.gif

I think I am more hopeless than I ever before knew. . .

Oh, just wait until I have temperature spikes. . .or humidity issues. . .or <gasp> pips

I'm just going to go sit on my hands somemore, or wait, maybe I want to go check on my eggs. . .

We can solve your decision if you have a still air. Tipping one end of the cartons up in a still air can cause the higher up eggs to be in hotter temps. You can account for that but it's more difficult so you'd be better off laying them down. If you have a forced air bator with a fan then I guess your stuck.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom