Planet Rothschildi Project Coming up on 16 Years

9 years, Finiie? There are almost none of us left.

I was thinking about how old Uno Chick is in the photo.

Let's do this:

there's grass visible. So it's not late spring or summer or early autumn.

Uno is a black head -- she has luxuriant black pin feathers on her neck and head.

But she's not an eight or nine month old chick. Otherwise she'd also have that classical first-autumn-first-winter 'fuzzball' plumage.

And if she were in her second autumn, she'd have full adult plumage: no pin feathers.

She's probably 14-15 months old -- her second spring.

SE

Last edited:
These are 'first-autumn' black heads. It's fig time -- March? -- but before the autumn rains have brought up 'fresh pick.'

Attachments

• 20170207_061327.jpg
    20170207_061327.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 2
I can't find my oldest post. Here is an excerpt from either Notes One or Notes Two:

'Notes from the Homeland,' June, 2010:

'Last week, I crawled on my belly the length of a fallen gum to view some emus that I saw before they saw me --none too usual. A male and eight chicks were grazing in the open, and I watched them for several minutes.'

1713326840146.png

This is, I think, the oldest photo from Planet Rothschildi. Perhaps November or December, 2008.

See how they've figured out that nice efficient scooping technique to drink?

Now watch again. Identifying individual birds is the basis of this project. It's just so hard.

This morning at dawn, two of these chicks, now two-and-half, were here.

Now watch one more time. See the chick second from left? See it hasn't got the drinking thang down pat?

Well, she still can't!! See the little shake of her head? She still does it.

[And see how unmistakeable Toosh Toosh's tail plumage is?]

SE

9 years, Finiie? There are almost none of us left.

I was thinking about how old Uno Chick is in the photo.

Let's do this:

there's grass visible. So it's not late spring or summer or early autumn.

Uno is a black head -- she has luxuriant black pin feathers on her neck and head.

But she's not an eight or nine month old chick. Otherwise she'd also have that classical first-autumn-first-winter 'fuzzball' plumage.

And if she were in her second autumn, she'd have full adult plumage: no pin feathers.

She's probably 14-15 months old -- her second spring.

SE
😅 Ha ha, I was thinking it was a current photo of Uno!

When I was trying to figure out when Uno hatched, I tried to find your old posts under the Supreme Emu name, but I couldn’t find that username. And I couldn’t remember the other username you had for a while. I don’t suppose you could find a couple of those posts and link them here. In case anybody else is interested in looking back at some of them.

😅 Ha ha, I was thinking it was a current photo of Uno!

When I was trying to figure out when Uno hatched, I tried to find your old posts under the Supreme Emu name, but I couldn’t find that username. And I couldn’t remember the other username you had for a while. I don’t suppose you could find a couple of those posts and link them here. In case anybody else is interested in looking back at some of them.
I found them! All it took was to search the term “Rothschildi” and that brought up posts from all 3 of your usernames over the years.

Supreme Emu:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/novaehollandiae-woodwardi-rothschildi.361037/post-4377106

Tame Emu Guy:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/supreme-emu-visiting.632716/post-8476223

'Mating Season in Australia' is a big one.

So is 'Planet Rothschildi.'

But there must be a hundred or more, dating back to about 2010.

I will do some patient searching.

Supreme Emu

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mating-season-in-australia.641934/

Page 4, Post 38 has me playing 'Gobble that Prune' with Greedy. Wow, this is sooooo far back!!

And Page 24 has data that we've not found anywhere:

resident female emus communicate with birds other locations. The photos show two females 'talking' to another female about a kilometre away. There is no mention anywhere in the literature of such a thing.

Over the years, we have posted a range of unique photos and observations.

SE

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom