Planning a solid coop and run for winter in Minnesota

gilliannas

Hatching
Jul 6, 2020
We are planning our first coop and run for our small flock of 5. We live in Minnesota in the city where it rarely gets above 20 degrees during the winter and then there are always a few days (or sometimes weeks) that hover between 10 and -10. Since we have only 5 chickens there won't be a ton of body heat in the coop and we want to make sure our babies are safe. I imagine that a coop design for our winter weather is different in many ways from a coop design for Florida. What should we look out for when we're designing in terms of space, insulation, methods for caring for the chickens? And are Scandinavian coops something to look at? We will not have electricity in the coop and would rather not have a heat lamp but also do not want to have sad chickens with frostbite. Would it be possible to make the chickens comfortable enough to lay? We're very new to urban chicken farming and so any advice is appreciated! (photo is of our chicks in their daytime chicken tractor)

Attachments

• 8q33ym28TayOBkTp5QzYcw.jpg
    8q33ym28TayOBkTp5QzYcw.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
If you really don't want to use a heat lamp there are a few things you can do. Make sure the coop has a solid body with no drafts or large openings. This will keep the inside warmer. You can also lay towels/old blankets over the chicken run. This helps especially when it snows, because it'll keep the snow out of the coop and keeps it dry. If the coop gets damp from the snow, it'll get into the feathers of the chickens and they'll freeze. So you have to keep it very dry, too. Layer the inside with plenty of hay, as well. It'll act as a sort of insulator and keep them warmer. However, you did say that some days it'll hit -10. That is a very extreme temp. I would always keep a heat lamp on hand for the worst days, so you don't end up with chicken popsicles. Having heat pads can help, too. If you lay some on the floor of the coop, they'll sit on them and stay toastier.

In the picture, is that a run or the coop itself? A good coop will always have an indoor part and an outdoor. It keeps them from getting wet or cold. It doesn't have to be too complicated, just something like this even Coop.jpg

If you really don't want to use a heat lamp there are a few things you can do. Make sure the coop has a solid body with no drafts or large openings. This will keep the inside warmer. You can also lay towels/old blankets over the chicken run. This helps especially when it snows, because it'll keep the snow out of the coop and keeps it dry. If the coop gets damp from the snow, it'll get into the feathers of the chickens and they'll freeze. So you have to keep it very dry, too. Layer the inside with plenty of hay, as well. It'll act as a sort of insulator and keep them warmer. However, you did say that some days it'll hit -10. That is a very extreme temp. I would always keep a heat lamp on hand for the worst days, so you don't end up with chicken popsicles. Having heat pads can help, too. If you lay some on the floor of the coop, they'll sit on them and stay toastier.
yes we do have a heat lamp and will use it if we need to! but really would rather have a thoughtfully designed coop. I have heard lately about frost bitten combs and that sounds so sad for a chicken!
Thanks for the info re the damp and wet feathers, I didn't realize.
Edited- to say the bit about the frostbite.

Last edited:
In the picture, is that a run or the coop itself? A good coop will always have an indoor part and an outdoor. It keeps them from getting wet or cold. It doesn't have to be too complicated, just something like this even View attachment 2230250
The photo is our chicken tractor run. The babies are almost three wks old and so we built this for adventures outside this past weekend. It needs to be shored up on the edges we noticed and yes I agree as they have no place to shelter if they get scared. The plan is to have a proper run attached to the proper coop but to have this one to allow them to sort-of free range in the garden.

You'll need a coop that allows for good ventilation but not drafts - ventilation lets moist air out, so chickens stay dry, and dry feathers effectively trap warmth. Do a search for "Woods coops" for example - they're designed for cold climates but have big windows which are oriented to keep air circulating through, but away from where the roosts themselves are located.

Ideally your run should be roofed to deal with snow, with some wind proofing to help buffer cold winds/stop snow and sleet from getting in.

Might want to check in with your state thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/surviving-minnesota.1052702/ to see if folks in your area have good examples of coops or runs that work for them.

yes we do have a heat lamp and will use it if we need to! but really would rather have a thoughtfully designed coop. I have heard lately about frost bitten combs and that sounds so sad for a chicken!
Thanks for the info re the damp and wet feathers, I didn't realize.
Edited- to say the bit about the frostbite.

Plan on using 2" thick foil backed foam insulation board....sold in home depot in 4'x8' sheets....you can cut to size & spray glue it on...Minn is brutal...Heat lamps are the #1 cause of coops burning down...keep them securely FIXED hanging 6' or so from the floor...try using the 125 watt bulbs for less heat but safer......research the heat lamp fires on google....I saw pics someewhere

You could get peacocks,haha .
I don't know of a certain type of chicken that will go after snakes but my guess would be some sort of game chicken , good luck 🙂

We're in MN too, Twin Cities. Just researching to start our coop design as well. I've seen tons of replies in other sources from Minnesotan's that don't use any sort of insulation in their coops and no heat lamp, just a heat source to keep the water from feeding. Ventilation to keep the moisture the chickens create moving out seems to be an important factor. We're currently trying to decide if we will insulate or not.

Back
Top Bottom