Plans for DIY Water System - Heated, 5 Gallons

I started to look but figured someone could point me to a DIY plan that WORKS!:
  1. year round (-30 to +30C)
  2. multi-station (I have three separate adjacent locations)
  3. cheap, repairable
I am thinking PVC, 5 gallon bucket, in-bucket heater, heated cable for lines/nipples.

I have purchased nipples online but so far they leak (either my installation OR poor nipple design/construction TBD).

Thank you!!

@aart @jthornton
My system is a 6 gallon camping jug on its side attached to a pvc loop system with horizontal nipples. I have a fountain pump pushing water through system 24/7 and added an aquarium heater this winter and kept it fine and warm during frigid temps of 23 below this winter. I only have 5 gens so it's a small coop set up. Note after my nipples leaked 2 times my hubby used JB weld on them and never leaked since. Let me know if you want more info if you need any.

My system is a 6 gallon camping jug on its side attached to a pvc loop system with horizontal nipples. I have a fountain pump pushing water through system 24/7 and added an aquarium heater this winter and kept it fine and warm during frigid temps of 23 below this winter. I only have 5 gens so it's a small coop set up. Note after my nipples leaked 2 times my hubby used JB weld on them and never leaked since. Let me know if you want more info if you need any.
It would be great to see a build of this system....maybe make an article?

vertical nipples
Pssst...go with horizontals.
Get them trained well before winter hits.

Pssst...go with horizontals.
Get them trained well before winter hits.

I have no preference but have not yet figured out how to make nipples leak proof, that is my conundrum; is the leakage from the screw in OR the chickens drinking OR both?

I see JB Weld mentioned above, I have some. I also see containment basins underneath (workaround not a solution?).

My flock is well used to horizontal nipples. My $70 Farm Innovators (FI) plastic heated 3 gallon lasted less than one year, freeze led to side split. I then bought the 250 watt submersible (FI) heater to go DIY route, still traveling...

I have no preference but have not yet figured out how to make nipples leak proof, that is my conundrum; is the leakage from the screw in OR the chickens drinking OR both?
Most often leaking is caused by lack of seal around the threads due to improper installation.
Why it's important to be very careful drilling the holes cleanly and the right size.
For the sharply tapered HN's you only screw it in just enough to be snug and make that thread seal.

Some dripping will happen when they drink.

@jthornton re "Delrin"

Had to research: I assume you chose this for thread durability? How/where did you buy it?

Link for vertical nipples you use if you have it would be appreciated.
I chose a bit of delrin from my scrap box because it would not rust and I had some. A plastic nut with the same thread would work. I use these vertical nipples. I put a plastic cup under the vertical nipples inside to catch any drips, the chickens drink from the cup and keep it empty...

JT

Back
Top Bottom