Plant disease or pest?

Red Barn Farms

~Friendly Fowl~
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Kentucky Heartland
Does anyone know if this is a disease or pest on the leaves and stems of this shrub. I tried using a solution of water, dish detergent and alcohol with little good results. It might have helped some but didn't leave it completely pest free.

It is a little hard to get a clear view of it in the video, but from what I can see, it looks like a pest called scale, probably a wax scale. A horticulture oil will help control it, but it will also kill the good bugs like lady bugs and lacewings. If you use horticulture oil, don't apply it if it hotter than 80 degrees out or it can harm the plant. Best of luck.

I have seen these bugs on some of my citrus trees....usually in the spring before they get to go back outside. I treat by cutting all the branches off that are very diseased. Then I throw the branches in the garbage to minimize the spread of the insects.The diseased branches are not helping the plant now anyway. Then I use a hose and spray off the mildly diseased leaves and get the rest of the bugs off.

Then maybe look at why the bugs took hold. Something in your growing conditions needs changing. With my fruit trees they are lacking light in early spring in the house because the sun gets higher in the sky.

Back
Top Bottom