Planted pumpkins this year, first time ever.

Spookwriter

Crowing
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Ohio
And know nothing about them. They seem to be growing...five packs
of seeds from walmarts, diffenent kinds from small to the 100 pound
giants.

Question for the pumpkin growers here: How many pumpkins are average
per vine?

Not sure yet, but I have a target goal of needing about 50 of the orange
things by mid-october? Do I need to plant more? Ohio climate, will they be
ready in time?

Personally, I think it would be cheaper in the long run to simply buy them
ready grown in someone else's field.

Ill let you know when i finally get a stinking pumpkin out of my vines. 5 Years running and still not 1 pumpkin. Tried all areas of property-building mounds and such. Vines grow-sprout little pumpkins and they just die and rot:( Before my girls (16-13) are gone to college I would love to have grown our own batch for them to carve!
he.gif
We buy ours every year:(
I wish you the best luck!
thumbsup.gif
Cant help yah Just hope you dont stink at growing them like me!

We've only grown them once. They had about 3 per plant as I remember. They take quite a bit of water if I remember right. Might be confusing with watermelons but I had them on the same drip line as the watermelons. We're doing them again this year to feed the pigs. Late start this year. Cold through the middle of June. Just started getting to the low 80's. We're usually hitting 90's by now.

Water shouldn't be a problem this year. Nothing but rain the past
four days, and more rain in the forcast for the rest of the week.

To much water if anything.

A grower up in the Columbus area will sell them to me in the
field at a dollar a piece. But I want to grow my own.

I tried several times over the years. Once I got 11 small pumpkins, the rest of the time powdery mildew got the vines before any pumpkins formed. So I have given up.
I work with a pumpkin farmer now. His brother owns the farm, he works it on his off hours. The brother just ordered chickens for the first time, so may be joining us on BYC.
Used to work with a woman whose husband and FIL grew those giant several hundred lb pumpkins.

Imp

I am in California, on the coast, we have the seeds for the Atlantic Giants that we got in the seed exchange on this forum.

Mom missed that they needed a lot of space when I gave her the seeds I planning on planting and put them in all over in the yard. They are going NUTS!!! We have several that are tennis ball sized already.

In the main garden, some came up as volunteers from last year, and we put in the smaller ones for pies, but boy do they seem to pop up all over on their own. I had no idea they were hard to grow? We don't get a lot of rain all summer and it rarely freezes so we can start them early, no idea if that makes a difference or not?

Good luck with yours!

If you can keep them nasty little black moths off of them(forget what they are called) they grow good,use sevin dust frequently,ohh and only 1 per vine if you want to grow the big ones.

wow..guess we are super lucky...we threw a few pumpkins in the back...and every yr we have volunteer plants lol...

we never do anything to them except GENTLY rotate the fruit as it grows to prevent flat sides...

GL!

Quote:
I just planted some for the first time since I was kid, they are the fastest growing things in our garden right now. I planted some pie pumpkins and some jack o' lanterns. I have them in fairly high mounds with three plants per mound. I'd expect an average of somewhere between 1 and 2 per vine.

We tried pumpkins one year and with no success. Although when Halloween comes around we sure do make the best out of the pumpkin seeds. YUMMY! Clean 'em out, wash them, then put it in salt water over night. Next day season them with Lawry's (or whatever you like) and bake them in the oven until crispy and golden brown (i forgot the exact time, i will have to check on that). Delicious!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom