Planting Sade Shade Trees and Bushes

Right now I have 2 claret vines growing on our shed where our future coop/run will be located.
I've looked up Claret Vine (it DOES bear fruit and has drop-dead gorgeous colors in the fall) So I was planning on digging them up and heeling them in somewhere while we move the shed and put up the coop/run.

So if it's CLASSIFIED as a grape, it should be safe for the chickens, right?
I'll also be adding Sunflowers, and I'm thinking some blueberries.

AND...while I'm here....
Is the recommendation to face coops south due to the position of the sun in winter? We get a lot of storms from the S.W., so I was trying to think of a way to shield that side.

Thankewverymuch
Yes build coops south facing!! I absolutely regret spending so much money on permanent coops that face North. You could use anything for a temporary shield like a piece of plywood, a tarp, etc.
***Edited to add, my north facing coops are protected from storms but! The chickens in the north facing coops get zero sunshine vitamin D and I have to let them take turns to free range and supplement their food with vitamins. Their chicks don’t thrive so I hatch their eggs elsewhere. If I could do it over, I’d def have south facing coops

Last edited:
It's very difficult to plant things inside a chicken enclosure because the chickens will eagerly destroy any bit of green they can get their beaks on and dig up anything they don't eat.

What about trellising a vine outside the run?

I'm planning on wall of sunflowers on the sunny side of my new coop.

We are in zone 8. If you can fence it off until it is larger, my chickens love our American Beauty berry bush. It can grow quite large- ours is 8' tall and is about 6 years old. So far it has survived as a favored summer dust bath location and the berries seem to be tasty

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_164948748.jpg
    IMG_20200907_164948748.jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 3
Right now I have 2 claret vines growing on our shed where our future coop/run will be located.
I've looked up Claret Vine (it DOES bear fruit and has drop-dead gorgeous colors in the fall) So I was planning on digging them up and heeling them in somewhere while we move the shed and put up the coop/run.

So if it's CLASSIFIED as a grape, it should be safe for the chickens, right?
I'll also be adding Sunflowers, and I'm thinking some blueberries.

AND...while I'm here....
Is the recommendation to face coops south due to the position of the sun in winter? We get a lot of storms from the S.W., so I was trying to think of a way to shield that side.

Thankewverymuch
Yes I looked it up never having heard of claret vine, and it’s a grape. The chickens don’t mind if it’s a tart grape.

I like the idea of a vine. That would help. I am planning a trip to the garden center soon I will see if I can find a started vine to go with some of these other great ideas.
Look for bare root grapes, plant them as soon as you get home and keep them well watered for a year. Watch out for containerized grapes with outrageous prices. Good luck!!

Yes build coops south facing!! I absolutely regret spending so much money on permanent coops that face North. You could use anything for a temporary shield like a piece of plywood, a tarp, etc.
***Edited to add, my north facing coops are protected from storms but! The chickens in the north facing coops get zero sunshine vitamin D and I have to let them take turns to free range and supplement their food with vitamins. Their chicks don’t thrive so I hatch their eggs elsewhere. If I could do it over, I’d def have south facing coops
So south facing helps get light/sunshine to them in the winter?

That's the only logic I can think of.
I don't intend to breed them, but I definitely want them to have plenty of sun in the winter. I live in the Portland Oregon area...today, we're floating through an atmospheric river.....forecast for the rest of the week.

Back
Top Bottom