Planting Vines for shade

Oh Carla, I mised your pic. LOVE the climbing Roses. My dh is really into growing roses, but we also have a deer problem so I'm not sure I could get them to bloom. Darn deer eat them RIGHT before they are ready to open. Arrrrgg

chickamama, my mom had the same problem until she ordered a product that comes in little bags you hand from garden stakes....I think it's called Deer Away or something like that. If you google it, you will probably get lots of results for products that help. My husband and I hang his old white socks all around our vegetable garden and put Irish Spring soap in the socks. It takes it a very long time to melt away from rain, and the deer are leaving our peas and tomatoes alone since we have done this. It's much cheaper than the stuff my mom bought. Best wishes!

Thanks Airmom. I will research. I know he has the soap on string thing going on. Those darn deer. Last year they mowed my lettuce crop to nothing. Boo-hoo!

Quote:
I was out in the yard earlier and wondered if you might have meant Hyacinth Bean and not Scarlet Runner.

I grow both, but the Hyacinth Bean Vine gets planted along the front porch for the hummingbirds and is nowhere close to the chickens (don't free range due to predators).

Dawn

I grow morning glories of all colors and leaf patterns. My birds regularly peck and eat them with no negative effects as of yet. My birds seem to know what they can and can't eat and how much of it... Have you thought of growing a climbing hedge or climbing rose? My birds love to eat my roses.

Bubba

Bubba - Do your birds ever eat the MG seeds? The seeds supposedly make humans hallucinate... if it didn't kill them, I wouldn't want to walk into a pen full of trippin' hens.

Also good to hear that the scarlett beans aren't toxic. ;-)

Climbing roses are beautiful... again, I'm just worried about the weight of the roses on my poor little chicken wire run, lol.

My boyfriend's mother planted scarlett runners and a few other beans outside of the pen the other day... and thanks to you guys, I now have a hankerin' for some grapes and a wisteria vine. Now the challenge is...where to put them?

bwahahaha. my poor boyfriend.

I wouldn't want to walk into a pen full of trippin' hens.

Oh my gosh, that is a HILARIOUS mental picture!!!
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Roses are no problem for birds. I have a friend who has several cockatoo-type birds and she likes it when I bring her my rosehips since mine are pesticide/herbicide free and they love to eat them. Roses are completely edible to us larger bipeds too.​

Enh, vinca doesn't really climb much, so it will not provide much shade. I suppose you could rig something up so it trailed down from a raised planter, but even if you want to do that there are prolly better vines.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom