Planting Vines for shade

I was going to use hops but then decided on bittersweet vine. It has edible berries on it in the fall and grows 20-30 feet tall.

look at this http://www.kippengrabbelton.be/plants/indexplant.htm
it
has plants that are good for the run/not good for the run, as well as climbers, fruit trees, and so on. It also tells you good to eat, not good to eat when it comes to veggies, herbs and weeds.
(do not plant wisteria) no matter how pretty it would be
WISTERIA
The glycosides in this plant causes intestine problems.
The soft leaves are a reason for chickens to eat them, so it can be dangerous for the chickens when there is a wisteria into a chicken run.

They're not vines, but I always plant sunflowers around the edge of my run. Hides the chickens and shades them too. Not to mention that they love the seeds--the few they manage to get, because *I* love the seeds too.

wink.png
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Please please make sure it's the American Bittersweet, not the Asian cultivar. The Asian strains are extremely invasive and on the noxious weed list in all states. The American isn't invasive at all, and is getting rare. They're lovely
smile.png

Thanks,I never knew there was 2 kinds. But this is the North American variety. I think the only thing strong enough to get invasive here are cactus and sage brush.

Quote:
Lady Banks rose is a thornless climber. Mine is loaded with buds right now and it's a fast grower, too. Mine went from a 12" rooted cutting to up taller than the trailer in just a couple of years.

Dang, gotta fix that trellis...

P4135257.jpg

A few of the tons of buds...

P4135258.jpg

Dawn

edited to fix pix and to add: If anyone wants rooted starts of this, just let me know.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom