Plants ducks and geese don't touch.

Mine don't like:
mint (spearmint, chocolate, and peppermint)
star jasmine vine
english ivy vine
morning glory vine
rose (leaves)
cantalope (leaves and vines)
cucumber (leaves and vines)
umbrela plant (in the pond, leave new soots alone)
portulaca
patunias
zinnias
tomato (plant and leaves)
peper plants (serreno, new mexico, cheyanne, something else hot)

Mine do eat:
strawberries (every part)
honeysuckle vine (leaves and flowers)
passion flower vine (leaves and flowers)
hybiscus (flowers)
tomatoes (fruit and flowers)
cantalope (flowers)
cucumber (flowers)
rose (flowers)
grass
lily pads (everything)
water lettuse (everything)
moss (in the pond)

They love to dig around any plants.

OK so this thread is freaking me out because a lot of the plants that y'all are saying your ducks and/or geese have eaten are (supposedly)Toxic... or so I thought.. according to lists I have read. for example tomato plant leaves! lillies! foxglove! I don't understand how so many waterfowl owners are not aware of these things and why the birds didn't get sick or die!? Is it all lies? Is nothing toxic?? Have I wasted years of being careful to identify plants in my yard and remove everything on the toxic lists?! I came on here looking for a couple of new things to plant that might be safe around my waterfowl. I have 2 empty flower beds that I'd like to plant something that my geese and ducks won't destroy, ideally more herbs / edibles. I already have a lot of herbs like rosemary sage thyme oregano several types of mints, chives, & lemon balm , my birds occasionally nibble most of these but have not destroyed.... but I don't want to plant more of the same. I had orange butterfly flower plants and purple salvia in these flower boxes previously but I removed them because I read that they were Toxic! They were so beautiful and now gone because of lists saying toxic toxic toxic yet y'all seem to leave all the toxic list plants out and no one else worries about the birds getting sick? help I don't understand..

Poor...poor chick & hens plants. Ducks LOVED 'em. Out of about 25 plants, I was able to find 5 they didn't TOTALLY munch on. They are now (hopefully) safe in a pot on the deck. Silly kids! Adding 4 new babies - 2 Cayuga and 2 Welsh Harlequins. Been out on the rocking chair holding and talking to them :love

2. Foxglove - tried it, spit it right back out.
tomato plant leaves! lillies! foxglove!
Yes, these plants are toxic and I'm very thankful that their ducks spit it out.

Here's a bit of a list of plants that are toxic to birds.

• Avocado (pit, leaves, fruit, stems)
  • Black locust (bark, leaves, seeds)
  • Blue-green algae (all)
  • Calla lily (all)
  • Castor bean (all)
  • Christmas cherry (all)
  • Coffee beans (all)
  • Chocolate beans (all, including processed chocolate)
  • Diffenbachia (all)
  • Eggplant (stem, leaves, sprouts -- ripened fruit is fine)
  • Elephant's ear (all)
  • Ergot (all)
  • Foxglove (all, even the water from the pot or vase shouldn't be injested)
  • Jerusalem cherry (all)
  • Jimsonweed (all)
  • Lily of the valley (all)
  • Locoweed (all)
  • Milkweed (all, including the juice)
  • Mistletoe (all, but especially the berries)
  • Nightshade (all)
  • Oak (all)
  • Oleander (all)
  • Philodendron (all)
  • Poinsettia (leaves, stem, sap)
  • Pokeweed (roots, leaves, berries)
  • Potatoes (stem, leaves, sprouts, green skins -- the potatoes themselves are fine)
  • Rhododendron and Azaleas (all)
  • Tobacco (all)
  • Tomatoes (stem, leaves, sprouts -- ripened fruit is fine)
  • Virginia creeper (berries, leaves)
  • Yew (wood, bark, seeds, leaves)
Below is a much larger list of toxic plants from the Veterinary Centers of America (VCA.)

1621204437770.png

1621204559861.png
1621204569684.png
1621204583026.png

Mine don't like:
mint (spearmint, chocolate, and peppermint)
star jasmine vine
english ivy vine
morning glory vine
rose (leaves)
cantalope (leaves and vines)
cucumber (leaves and vines)
umbrela plant (in the pond, leave new soots alone)
portulaca
patunias
zinnias
tomato (plant and leaves)
peper plants (serreno, new mexico, cheyanne, something else hot)

Mine do eat:
strawberries (every part)
honeysuckle vine (leaves and flowers)
passion flower vine (leaves and flowers)
hybiscus (flowers)
tomatoes (fruit and flowers)
cantalope (flowers)
cucumber (flowers)
rose (flowers)
grass
lily pads (everything)
water lettuse (everything)
moss (in the pond)

They love to dig around any plants.
Looking for water plants they won't eat. Any suggestions

Would you believe they don't like dill or parsley! So far they have not discovered the cuke blossoms and I'm so glad. Most mornings I give them a partial cuke sliced down the middle (skin on) and they devour all of it, along with the watermelon. They've been interested in the rose hips but they're still green. I'll introduce them once red. Also thinking of planting some pasture forage and suspect that they'll eat that once sprouted.

I thought this might be a good topic for a thread since we all face the problem of ducks and geese eating our plants.

1. Sword Ferns - tried it don't like it. They love to root underneath it though. Good bugs hide there!
2. Foxglove - tried it, spit it right back out.
3. Oregano - I have some growing in the middle of the yard in back (from previous owner) they've mowed all the grass around it, they don't even root under it.
4. Sage - I have a sage garden I let them root around in, they've tried it, don't like it.
5 Lemon Verbena - never touched it - don't root around it either
6. Tarragon - Hate it
7. Savory - Hate it, they won't even step on it, but go around it.
8. Bamboo - nibble at the lower leaves, can't get at most of the leaves, leave the new stalks alone.
9. Calendula - they will lay on it, have nibbled on it, but they don't like the taste.
10. Tomatillo - I wish they would eat it, I planted WAY too many this year.

11. Honeysuckle
12. Sweet Pea
13. Morning Glory
14. Rosmary
15. English Ivy
16. Vinca Minor
I have lemon verbena in a planter and my ducks definitely dig around it and bite at it. Probably varies with each ducks precedence:)

Mine dont touch the carrots, tomato & zuchinni plants. Also wont touch the Marigolds i planted near by.

(I have about 5 different kinds of tomato plants and they touched none of them.)

They ate all the Strawberries(fruit only), Bell Peppers, Cabbage & Beans.
Same! I cut some down into small chunks and cooked them so they wouldn't be a choking hazard and absolutely not interested. One out of six ducks took a nibble but that was it. They don't like strawberries either. Love tomatoes and honey dew though.

My ducks love grape tomatoes, and they've eaten smaller, green tomatoes off of other plants. They've tried the leaves but don't like them.
My ducks won't eat morning glory, honeysuckle, or sweet pea (I have all three growing all over the backyard). They will eat carrot tops but not carrots. They will also eat radish greens and they love cilantro.
I read unripe green tomatoes and the leaves/greens are toxic to ducks?

Back
Top Bottom