Plants ducks and geese don't touch.

has anyone tried them out on sweet potato leaves? 

got a great idea of a duck crack... chopping up some strawberry whole plant with berries, and bamboo leaves throw in some snails.. 

I always chop up strawberry hulls (the part with the little stem and leaves) for the ducks whenever we have strawberries. As long as the pieces aren't too big, the ducks just love them.

Mine avoid:
tansy
rosemary
mulberry
blueberry leaves
Tithonia
Cardoon

They eat:
Sorrel
All cabbage family
Beets
Clover
Nasturtium 

A couple weeks ago, I uncovered the greens bed so the ducks could destroy it - I mean help fertilize it and turn it over and after they were finished, this is what remained of the poor sorrel plant:

And for reason, they drilled holes in that garden bed too! Silly ducks. :love

A couple weeks ago, I uncovered the greens bed so the ducks could destroy it - I mean help fertilize it and turn it over and after they were finished, this is what remained of the poor sorrel plant:

And for reason, they drilled holes in that garden bed too! Silly ducks. :love

Wow, they demolished the sorrel. Looks like mine. I've come to appreciate the little holes they leave. I believe it helps improve soil structure. As long as they are lightweight ducks and aren't compacting it...

Wow, they demolished the sorrel. Looks like mine. I've come to appreciate the little holes they leave. I believe it helps improve soil structure. As long as they are lightweight ducks and aren't compacting it...

I also discovered that the little stinkers have drilled neat little holes all along the fence. So I'm planting bulbs in them. Thanks, ducks! :lol:

Fortunately, we aren't the kind of people who require perfectly manicured lawns (or anything else). My husband says that the ducks are going to save him on mowing time since they've destroyed most of the lawn down to bare earth and mud!

Ugh I swear mine eat everything! I have yet to find a plant they won't eat. Just planted a morning glory vine on there fence and they gobbled it up less than a minute after I planted it! Ahhhhhhh they are food monsters I swear! I do love my father ol' bizzums though

The only flowers my ducks like to eat are marigolds and petunias. ESPECIALLY the petunias. We have them hanging and they jump up as high as they can and rip flower petals off the lowest hanging stems and eat them!

My ducks love everything that I have given them except for mint leaves.

Their absolute favorite treats are grapes, strawberries and dandelions.

I thought this might be a good topic for a thread since we all face the problem of ducks and geese eating our plants.

1. Sword Ferns - tried it don't like it. They love to root underneath it though. Good bugs hide there!
2. Foxglove - tried it, spit it right back out.
3. Oregano - I have some growing in the middle of the yard in back (from previous owner) they've mowed all the grass around it, they don't even root under it.
4. Sage - I have a sage garden I let them root around in, they've tried it, don't like it.
5 Lemon Verbena - never touched it - don't root around it either
6. Tarragon - Hate it
7. Savory - Hate it, they won't even step on it, but go around it.
8. Bamboo - nibble at the lower leaves, can't get at most of the leaves, leave the new stalks alone.
9. Calendula - they will lay on it, have nibbled on it, but they don't like the taste.
10. Tomatillo - I wish they would eat it, I planted WAY too many this year.

11. Honeysuckle
12. Sweet Pea
13. Morning Glory
14. Rosmary
15. English Ivy
16. Vinca Minor

Back
Top Bottom