Plants for aviaries.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by eggsrcool, Jun 4, 2010.

1. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Hello,

I was wondering what sort of plants are suitable for quail. I was thinking spearmint, but they don't seem to particularly enjoy it.

What I was looking for was a plant which will provide some shelter from the sun and rain, and the quail may like to have the occasional nibble at, so obviously it must be safe and non-toxic to the quail. Even better, if it attracts bugs and insects that will just be great, but it's not necessary.

Thanks for any ideas.

[​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Kale? Very nice, tough plant. I'm not sure if quail would like it but my chickens do. [​IMG]

3. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Thanks for the reply [​IMG]

I'll have a look at the garden centre to see if they have any, and see if it might be a plant for the quail to enjoy.

4. Let the weeds and grasses grow tall, thats what quail like.

5. holachicka

holachicka Songster

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    Try swiss chard? It's a spinach relative, and grows VERY easily from seed. Plus, you can cut it down and it will grow back for up to 1-2 years. might come in handy if the quail really enjoy it! It comes in a packet of rainbow colors, or just regular... and is very pretty.

6. 95yj

95yj Songster

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    Quote:agreed, they love tall grass, they make little tunnels in it and hide in it.

7. GBov

GBov Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    Buddleia! Its tough, big and smells good. I also have guava in with mine but it might be a bit delicate for you [​IMG] Cant see why roses wont work, other than as a hazard for you. Oh, and juniper would work, either tall or short. Or some nice big rosemary and sage and lavender plants.

The only reason I can think of that things like kale wont work is if they like it lots. Two bolted heads of lettuce last my quail about 15 min, at MOST! And I only have 11. They even eat the handfuls of grass I pull up for them.

8. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Quote:We have heaps of buddleia growing round the place, and the chickens love the stuff, so I would have thought the quail would too [​IMG]

Thanks everyone for your replies [​IMG]

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would plant some small bushes or shrubs for shade/shelter, and have grass and clover for the ground. I pull clover for mine everyday and they love it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by