Plants!! Orchids, ferns, succulents, mosses and more

SarahLadd

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 23, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
I don't see a plants thread, for the plant enthusiast tinkering with our non-consumable photosynthesizing friends. From bearded iris to monsteras, show off your plants!

I'll start!

My new orchids have just arrived! I wasn't sure how big they would be, or how large the mountings they would be on, so it was anyone's guess what would arrive. They are blooming size, fully grown specimens, at least 5 years old. Very very small! But, still too big for my nano rimless. I ordered another, larger rimless. I carefully selected these for their specific watering, light and lack of rest period, to be assembled into moss paludariums.

Bulbophyllum longistellidium
Bulbophyllum nasica
Dendrobium elliottarium garretti
Platystele johnstonii
Pleurothalis minutalis oxios
20230831_081104.jpg

Okay, that is stunning!

I killed my orchid this spring. My son gave it to me last year (from Walmart). I'd like to try again. Where did you get that beauty of yours? I see you're in Mpls. I'm in WI but have relatives your way.

I'm also propagating Swiss Cheese Monsteras, as mine has gone nuts, too tall. I'll get a pic tomorrow as it's night now.

I don't see a plants thread, for the plant enthusiast tinkering with our non-consumable photosynthesizing friends. From bearded iris to monsteras, show off your plants!

I'll start!

My new orchids have just arrived! I wasn't sure how big they would be, or how large the mountings they would be on, so it was anyone's guess what would arrive. They are blooming size, fully grown specimens, at least 5 years old. Very very small! But, still too big for my nano rimless. I ordered another, larger rimless. I carefully selected these for their specific watering, light and lack of rest period, to be assembled into moss paludariums.

Bulbophyllum nasica
Platystele johnstonii
View attachment 3624215
I found this one:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-houseplant-thread.1460176/

I killed my orchid this spring. My son gave it to me last year (from Walmart). I'd like to try again.
If you're getting an orchid from Walmart or anywhere like that, repot it immediately when the blooms die off. Preferably before, but that usually means you lose the blooms. Check the roots for any dry, dead ones, black rotten ones, or anything soft and mushy and cut it all off. Use an antifungal powder or hydrogen peroxide spray to reduce chances of further root rot. Most potted orchids die from lack of airflow to their roots from the dense materials like compacted sphagnum moss that big box stores use. Cut the stem down - I recommend a video to show you where/how. With any luck your orchid will bloom again! As long as it has some green roots and green leaves it has a chance to come back.

If you're getting an orchid from Walmart or anywhere like that, repot it immediately when the blooms die off. Preferably before, but that usually means you lose the blooms. Check the roots for any dry, dead ones, black rotten ones, or anything soft and mushy and cut it all off. Use an antifungal powder or hydrogen peroxide spray to reduce chances of further root rot. Most potted orchids die from lack of airflow to their roots from the dense materials like compacted sphagnum moss that big box stores use. Cut the stem down - I recommend a video to show you where/how. With any luck your orchid will bloom again! As long as it has some green roots and green leaves it has a chance to come back.
I actually did do everything you said. It didn't really have much for roots left once I removed all the dead ones. It got a new leaf even and I thought it was doing great, but suddenly it just started downhill so no idea what happened.

I actually did do everything you said. It didn't really have much for roots left once I removed all the dead ones. It got a new leaf even and I thought it was doing great, but suddenly it just started downhill so no idea what happened.
Were you using tap water or distilled/bottled water? Tap water can contain high levels of minerals or chemicals and it can kill orchids pretty quickly.

Okay, that is stunning!

I killed my orchid this spring. My son gave it to me last year (from Walmart). I'd like to try again. Where did you get that beauty of yours? I see you're in Mpls. I'm in WI but have relatives your way.

I'm also propagating Swiss Cheese Monsteras, as mine has gone nuts, too tall. I'll get a pic tomorrow as it's night now.
I acquired my new specimens from Andy's Orchids by mail. They were packaged excellent and came from CA, in a 5x5x5" box. They are small!! Here are some more pictures. I did not have a banana at the time.

20230830_191554.jpg
20230830_191544.jpg
20230830_191535.jpg
20230830_191531.jpg
20230830_191524.jpg

Also, here is an update on a jarrarium filled with golden baby tears and a small fern collected from my father in laws property.
20230831_201231.jpg

Really cool orchids! There are a couple of houseplant threads on here, but they kind of die off after a while. I made one myself specifically because I didn't see anybody keeping exotic plants outdoors, but yeah.

I'll start!

Bulbophyllum nasica
Platystele johnstonii
View attachment 3624215

Really cool orchids! There are a couple of houseplant threads on here, but they kind of die off after a while. I made one myself specifically because I didn't see anybody keeping exotic plants outdoors, but yeah.
Thanks! I'm wondering if I can keep them happy enough to see any of them bloom. I plan on having an automated system to assist in their care, using probes feeding data through a raspberry pi to an oscillating fan, fogger and mister. I'll manually maintain a feeding schedule.

Well let's see how long this thread lasts before it goes in the graveyard lol

Back
Top Bottom