Plastic/Resin coop and winter warmth

jkwhiteley

Chirping
Apr 25, 2018
Provo, Utah
I have been looking in the forums, and couldn’t find what I was looking for so I thought I’d just ask. Are plastic/resin garden sheds converted to a coop warm enough in the winter? I’m in central utah, and our winter temperatures average a low around 20 degrees, but there are days where it gets lower. I wanted to build a new coop now that I‘ve been a chicken mom for a few years, and know what I really want now in a coop. I have a nice shed with skylights we have been using for garden tools, the lawn mower, etc, and I was thinking of getting a bigger shed for that, and using the 6x8‘ shed we have for a new coop instead of building one out of wood. I can add proper ventilation, and am not worried about that, but I‘m just not sure how well it will hold heat in the winter. I do not use lights in the coop or heaters.

What can you guys tell me about winters with a plastic or resin shed coop?

Thanks for any help or insight you have!

I have been looking in the forums, and couldn’t find what I was looking for so I thought I’d just ask. Are plastic/resin garden sheds converted to a coop warm enough in the winter? I’m in central utah, and our winter temperatures average a low around 20 degrees, but there are days where it gets lower. I wanted to build a new coop now that I‘ve been a chicken mom for a few years, and know what I really want now in a coop. I have a nice shed with skylights we have been using for garden tools, the lawn mower, etc, and I was thinking of getting a bigger shed for that, and using the 6x8‘ shed we have for a new coop instead of building one out of wood. I can add proper ventilation, and am not worried about that, but I‘m just not sure how well it will hold heat in the winter. I do not use lights in the coop or heaters.

You don't want it to hold heat in the winter.
You want it to release moist warm air and bring in cool dry air without causing drafts that are strong enough to open feathers on roosted birds.

You don't want it to hold heat in the winter.
You want it to release moist warm air and bring in cool dry air without causing drafts that are strong enough to open feathers on roosted birds.
So, why do people insulate coops? I totally understand the release of moist warm air, but I thought you also want to have a coop that retains their body heat and I don’t know if the plastic walls will let cold air in or hold their warm air in? Maybe I’m asking wrong. lol.

So, why do people insulate coops?
I would say based on what I've read that the vast majority do not insulate their coops. And those that have report rodent/insect infestation in the insulation.
The birds keep themselves warm by fluffing their feathers to trap their body heat. As long as those feathers don't blow open to allow that heat to easily escape, they do quite well.
My flock has experienced temps as low as -23F without issue other than minor frostbite that rounded the comb tips of my rooster.

the release of moist warm air,
but I thought you also want to have a coop that retains their body heat
These two things cannot co-exist.

Because they feel it's too cold for the chickens to be outside. But keep in mind chickens are walking around with a down coat all the time, which does an admirable job in trapping in heat and keeping them warm.
Ditto Dat!!

Hi there! I actually purchased a resin shed and converted it to a coop. I also have temperatures similar to yours and I am now finding it hard to keep it at 30 degrees more so for my bantam rooster. He was very cold last night and I have a brooder heating plate in there and only 3 hens right now. I think in the spring I am going to build walls inside of plywood around the roosting bar just to help keep that area away from the cold walls and I might even do that now as he really struggled. I ended up hanging the heated plate near the bar to help keep them warmer last night and it only brought the temperature to 24 degrees. I have a thermometer in there and a camera thermometer as well. I do enjoy this coop for cleaning purposes in the spring and summer was great spraying it down and I didn’t find it was hard to keep cool in summer I put a fan in the window and one on them. But now I’m finding it’s harder for the birds staying a decent temperature. Good luck!

Hi there! I actually purchased a resin shed and converted it to a coop. I also have temperatures similar to yours and I am now finding it hard to keep it at 30 degrees more so for my bantam rooster. He was very cold last night and I have a brooder heating plate in there and only 3 hens right now. I think in the spring I am going to build walls inside of plywood around the roosting bar just to help keep that area away from the cold walls and I might even do that now as he really struggled. I ended up hanging the heated plate near the bar to help keep them warmer last night and it only brought the temperature to 24 degrees. I have a thermometer in there and a camera thermometer as well. I do enjoy this coop for cleaning purposes in the spring and summer was great spraying it down and I didn’t find it was hard to keep cool in summer I put a fan in the window and one on them. But now I’m finding it’s harder for the birds staying a decent temperature. Good luck!
What are your nighttime temps (not in the coop - I'm talking your outdoor temps)?

Back
Top Bottom