Plastic/Resin coop and winter warmth

Here is another vote for dry coop, not warm coop. Here in SE New England. We have an uninsulated coop, windows open 365 days per year. We get a few days a year that go below zero Fahrenheit. The girls did just fine. If you can keep a resin shed ventilated and dry, sounds OK to me. YMMV

Attachments

• 1638290129200.png
    1638290129200.png
    448.1 KB · Views: 6
I also live in the desert high desert (night temps 20-40, highs 70-105), and my concern with a resin shed/coop is all the heat build-up in the summer, and ventilation at all times. I briefly used one to house some goslings (a temporary project), and though I took the doors (a whole side) off, and painted the roof white, it still got too hot and I repurposed the shed to something where the excess heat wasn't a problem. Not to mention, was that a gas-powered mower? plastic/resin holds those fumes. I'd opt for a 3-sided coop, possibly building a cheaper wood shed and modifying it, or at least ventilating the entire gables, perhaps more. Like I think the others said, the ventilation needs to be well above the birds' backs when they roost. I'd so some research, such as weather underground (wunderground.com) and find out just where the prevailing winds come from, and design/site the coop accordingly. Best of luck!

What are your nighttime temps (not in the coop - I'm talking your outdoor temps)?
My night time lately has been in the teens or 20s already. I don’t think it would be bad if I could get my new teens in with them in the resin coop. But my rooster is a bantam and small so he has been struggling with the colder weather my full grown hens seem fine in it. I was thinking to try hanging a blanket up to make it smaller in size but not sure I want to do that either.

I have been looking in the forums, and couldn’t find what I was looking for so I thought I’d just ask. Are plastic/resin garden sheds converted to a coop warm enough in the winter? I’m in central utah, and our winter temperatures average a low around 20 degrees, but there are days where it gets lower. I wanted to build a new coop now that I‘ve been a chicken mom for a few years, and know what I really want now in a coop. I have a nice shed with skylights we have been using for garden tools, the lawn mower, etc, and I was thinking of getting a bigger shed for that, and using the 6x8‘ shed we have for a new coop instead of building one out of wood. I can add proper ventilation, and am not worried about that, but I‘m just not sure how well it will hold heat in the winter. I do not use lights in the coop or heaters.

What can you guys tell me about winters with a plastic or resin shed coop?

Thanks for any help or insight you have!
Did you get the shed put up this winter? I'm in central Wisconsin and was wondering the same thing. Right now it is 7 degrees outside. I'm sure my current coop is only in the teens or twenties for temperature.(old thin aluminum shed probably too big for them to properly keep warm)

I would say based on what I've read that the vast majority do not insulate their coops. And those that have report rodent/insect infestation in the insulation.
The birds keep themselves warm by fluffing their feathers to trap their body heat. As long as those feathers don't blow open to allow that heat to easily escape, they do quite well.
My flock has experienced temps as low as -23F without issue other than minor frostbite that rounded the comb tips of my rooster.
Quick question, one of my olive Egger hens has a HUGE comb that has a few black spots at the edges. Do I need to do anything or will it take care of itself? I’ve added 2 new bags of pine chips to the coop for warmth on the ground since I’ve noticed. There is ventilation around the top edges of the coop. I have a heated waterer hanging inside and really don’t want to remove it because most of them will not leave the coop when it is below zero.

Quick question, one of my olive Egger hens has a HUGE comb that has a few black spots at the edges. Do I need to do anything or will it take care of itself? I’ve added 2 new bags of pine chips to the coop for warmth on the ground since I’ve noticed. There is ventilation around the top edges of the coop. I have a heated waterer hanging inside and really don’t want to remove it because most of them will not leave the coop when it is below zero.
I would remove the heated waterer to the run, just outside the pop door if you have to. They'll run out for a drink if they are thirsty.
Is your run winterized? I've found that on a sunny day, it is noticeably warmer in the run as the wind can't blow the heat away so easily.
Don't do anything to the comb, including touch it. Just watch for infection. Can you post pictures?

Hi there! I actually purchased a resin shed and converted it to a coop. I also have temperatures similar to yours and I am now finding it hard to keep it at 30 degrees more so for my bantam rooster. He was very cold last night and I have a brooder heating plate in there and only 3 hens right now. I think in the spring I am going to build walls inside of plywood around the roosting bar just to help keep that area away from the cold walls and I might even do that now as he really struggled. I ended up hanging the heated plate near the bar to help keep them warmer last night and it only brought the temperature to 24 degrees. I have a thermometer in there and a camera thermometer as well. I do enjoy this coop for cleaning purposes in the spring and summer was great spraying it down and I didn’t find it was hard to keep cool in summer I put a fan in the window and one on them. But now I’m finding it’s harder for the birds staying a decent temperature. Good luck!
It's -2F this morning and all my bantams are fine. They have fluffed their feathers and are hunkered down in the pine/hemp of the coop floor.
Why do you think your bantam rooster is struggling at 24F?

I would remove the heated waterer to the run, just outside the pop door if you have to. They'll run out for a drink if they are thirsty.
Is your run winterized? I've found that on a sunny day, it is noticeably warmer in the run as the wind can't blow the heat away so easily.
Don't do anything to the comb, including touch it. Just watch for infection. Can you post pictures?
Unfortunately our run is in the shade most of the day except for first thing in the morning and late afternoon. I have a clear tarp over the top and wind side and open on the other side. There are straw bales along the windy side at the bottom to further keep wind out. It’s usually not too windy in there. I think I needed more shavings in the coop as there was only a tiny bit on the floor so I dumped 2 big bags in and it’s about 5 inches in depth now. Thanks and sorry for hijacking!
1642264768067.jpeg

Unfortunately our run is in the shade most of the day except for first thing in the morning and late afternoon. I have a clear tarp over the top and wind side and open on the other side. There are straw bales along the windy side at the bottom to further keep wind out. It’s usually not too windy in there. I think I needed more shavings in the coop as there was only a tiny bit on the floor so I dumped 2 big bags in and it’s about 5 inches in depth now. Thanks and sorry for hijacking!
View attachment 2961560
The black is not frostbite, probably pecking scabs.
Couple tips on comb may have very mild bite.

Back
Top Bottom