Plastic sheds as coop Ideas

wowmanacat

Songster
Apr 1, 2011
Oak Grove AR
I have looked for pictures of plastic sheds made into coops and have not found many, I really would like to see you ideas of using a plastic shed as a coop. The big reason that I am looking into this is that we are looking at buying a house and a few of the places that we are looking are not set up for chickens at this time and we are going to have to fix that before we move in.
I am thinking of using canned spray foam in the walls to help insulate for the summer and winter. Has any one done this? do you have a floor? Right now my chickens are on a dirt floor. How did you cut for poop door? I really would like to know any info that you have.
One of the places that we are looking at the chickens will be free range most of the time unless we are not at home(I am almost always home)
Here is the shed that I am looking at.
Thank you for all the info that you are sharing.

Last edited:
I am looking to have a bigger coop (my 4x4 is to small)and have seen this ad also.

You may want to go see the shed in person first to see how sturdy it is. Some of the new sheds are "double walled" and would not need any insulation. If you do decide to use foam to insulate you must cover it with thin wood sheeting or something as the chickens will peck at it and eventually ingest it.

I am looking at putting the foam inside the walls if they are hollow. I plan on trying to look at the shed if I can but not all places have the sheds on site.

the air pocket its self would be sufficient insulation. The foams are meant to seal out drafts than actually insulate. I see that you are from Ark. I would not worry about the cold to much..nor the heat. Our highest temp last yr was 102 and out lowest yet has been 5. In both cases my coop was fine and its just wood sheeting without insulation. Ventilation is what I would be most concerned with on the plastic sheds.

^ Absolutely right, void space is void space, and chickens can handle drastic T's better than poor air circ!

Sounds expensive. I'd just start saving packing peanuts and when time comes, pour em in. Assuming the walls are thick enough, and there's an opening.

Honestly I'm not crazy about plastic structures...too much nasty smelling offgasing, discoloration from UV and eventually brittleness. Temporary structures at best, esp where I live (NM).

Balloon framing is fast and cheap, and if you need insulation just save your feedbags, stuff em w low density material (packing peanuts, nut shells, straw, foam chunks, bubblewrap...) and attach btwn studs.

Last edited:
Here is the web site for the shed.

http://www.suncast.com/productdisplay.aspx?id=625&pid=87

It does have double wall construction so no need for insulation. Most outdoor items are made of UV resistant plastic so that part does not bother me. I did look at the installation instructions and it mentions DO NOT assemble on days below 32. To me this means it can become brittle in cold weather. That part does bother me as we average 116 days with temps below 32

I have a rubbermaid shed as a coop. Look on my page for pictures. It works well for me, although lacking in charm. Very easy to clean. One concern people have is getting too hot. Mine does not get hot, but it is in the shade most of the time. It came with a plastic/resin floor. I just drilled a small hole and cut the pop hole with a jigsaw. I do not have a pop door.
I don't think you'd want to cut holes in the walls to fill the air channels.

Imp

Here's a link, 'cause finding pages confuses me. lol
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/imps-chickens-and-coop

Last edited:
I checked reviews on the Suncast 6x8: most every 1 star reviewer complained about leaky roof and/or poor fittings/workmanship. I know how to fix leaky metal, shingled, and flatroof adobe roof...but plastic? Would I use a blowtorch and putty knives, or what?!?

Modifying/repairing/insulating a balloon frame structure seems soo much easier. But then I've an aversion to the odor of burnt plastic. And UV-resistant only means it'll hold up as long as the product is warranteed...

Quote: Which is how many days, exactly?

No thanks.

http://888tuffshed.com/products_prices.cfm?ModelID=KR-600&pg=Prices
$350 more, but it's professionally assembled and delivered, has a decent warranty (IIRC) and can be dragged around as it's on skids. You can usually talk em down a bit, and since HD sells em you could apply for their card and earn 10% off the purchase price...

Check w your local storage/garage construction outfits too, they can usually do it 10-20% than tuffshed, and their paint options are way cheaper.

thank you for all the great info. I see now that I might have to go with a wood shed. I was looking to save some money since I would just be moving at the same time. I have no idea which of the houses that we are going to be looking at have sheds or chicken coop or any of that stuff. I just hope that I have the money at the time to get what I need if needed.

Go with the wood. You can build one twice the size for half the cost of that one.

frow.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom