Play dead

suburbchick

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2015
So, I let my 4 week out chicks out today! Really weird thing happened that I have never seen. In the shade, they tore around. However, as soon as they hit sun they collapsed, flipped on sides, and acted dead! I mean within seconds of hitting sun. Has anyone ever seen such behavior before......

Yes.. they love the sun.... they will lay out and sunbath like that... the strong sun light helps to kill some of the mites and parasites they have.

I did not know that about the mites!!! I was very proud of the girls yesterday to watch them scratch around and even eat insects! Like I said, they all passed out in the sun except for the silkie!!! I have never had a silkie before and was expecting a very mellow bird!! However, this little lady is a spitfire and always my alert "energizer bunny"!!

one of the chicks that hatched last night is doing that right now under the heat lamp in the brooder, hehe , he looks comfortable,

Awwww!! Very cute!!! I thought it was a riot when one of the girls tried to give herself a dust bath in the medicated chick starter! haha

Back
Top Bottom