Play toy

It isn't necessary to drill a hole in the cabbage to hang it. Take a stiff wire (old coat hanger) and push it though the core. Bend a small 90 at the end to prevent the head from coming off, and then bend a loop at the top to attach rope. I try to give my birds at least one head a week but I no longer hang it since it's usually gone in less than an hour. I just cut it in quarters and toss it into the coop.

My girls love it when I partially cook a spaghetti squash and thread a half onto a wire, cut side facing down and hang from top of run. I tried cabbage they didn't touch it, the same with cooked sweet potato. Picky, picky girls!

Anything edible in my run has a very short existence.
lol.png
I harvested about 8 gallons of sweet potatoes in early Dec. Been giving some to my chooks every day, and boy, they eat them. Having 24 chooks makes for few, if any picky eaters.
lol.png
I do not cook them but I did cut the first one up into small pieces and still cut them in half lengthwise sometimes. Just before this cold snap I pulled weeds from around the shrub beds and filled a 5 gal bucket. Took it into the pen and put it in 6 piles and it was gone in a couple of hours or less. Was around 35 degrees that day. Fortunately around here, I can find those kinds of weeds close by in lots of places all winter long so will supplement the chook's greens with those from time to time. I always give them grass clippings in summertime and they dive right in to those every time.
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom