playground sand

wilhiteranch

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Rocklin
Ok so I put a small thing of fresh store bought playground sand in the Chicks brooder and they are loving it. Is it ok to leave in there all the time?

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
I have always given my chicks sand to play in. I would put the sand in a frisbee so they could dust bathe and then would add more sand when they kicked it out. Like you said, they love it.
wee.gif
If you have enough room, then leave it in. How old are they and what kinds do you have?

N&MSchroeder :

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
I have always given my chicks sand to play in. I would put the sand in a frisbee so they could dust bathe and then would add more sand when they kicked it out. Like you said, they love it.
wee.gif
If you have enough room, then leave it in. How old are they and what kinds do you have?

I have 2 RIR's and 2 Silkie's and they are 3 weeks. They played in the sand for probably 20 min then needed a nap...
lol.png

N&MSchroeder :

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
wee.gif

I'd try that.. but then my border collie would probably grab the Frisbee and run.. flinging sand everywhere XD​

Definitely give them sand! Not only do they dustbathe like crazy in it, it can serve as a source of grit for them, too. You might have a bit more to cleanup, but it's worth it!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom