playground sand

wilhiteranch

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Rocklin
Ok so I put a small thing of fresh store bought playground sand in the Chicks brooder and they are loving it. Is it ok to leave in there all the time?

N&MSchroeder

Songster
9 Years
Feb 4, 2011
SE Idaho
Hi and
I have always given my chicks sand to play in. I would put the sand in a frisbee so they could dust bathe and then would add more sand when they kicked it out. Like you said, they love it.
If you have enough room, then leave it in. How old are they and what kinds do you have?

wilhiteranch

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Rocklin
N&MSchroeder :

Hi and
I have always given my chicks sand to play in. I would put the sand in a frisbee so they could dust bathe and then would add more sand when they kicked it out. Like you said, they love it.
If you have enough room, then leave it in. How old are they and what kinds do you have?

I have 2 RIR's and 2 Silkie's and they are 3 weeks. They played in the sand for probably 20 min then needed a nap...

Moonkit

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Richardson, Texas
N&MSchroeder :

Hi and

I'd try that.. but then my border collie would probably grab the Frisbee and run.. flinging sand everywhere XD​

Blue_Myst

Songster
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
Definitely give them sand! Not only do they dustbathe like crazy in it, it can serve as a source of grit for them, too. You might have a bit more to cleanup, but it's worth it!

Top Bottom