Sand in brooder

I personally wouldn't. I prefer using puppy pads for the first 3 days and then switching over to large flake pine shavings. I would be concerned about them consuming too much sand. How many chicks are you getting and what size is your brooder?

I personally wouldn't. I prefer using puppy pads for the first 3 days and then switching over to large flake pine shavings. I would be concerned about them consuming too much sand. How many chicks are you getting and what size is your brooder?

I have 3 chick's. I have them in a large box. I had pine shavings and they constantly kick it in the feed and water.

I have 3 chick's. I have them in a large box. I had pine shavings and they constantly kick it in the feed and water.
Sand won't help you with that, they like to scratch too much. What kind of feeder are you using? What kind of waterer? How big is that box? Depending in what you are working with there can be different ways to solve your problems, or at least make them better.

With some feeders and/or waterers you can hang them above the bedding. About the height of the chick's back is a good height. They may still scratch some stuff in it but that amount od bedding can be greatly reduced. I've been known to provide a platform above the bedding that they can hop up on and set a feeder or waterer on that. They will still scratch bedding up on the platform and if you let it build up enough on up into the feeder and/or waterer, but it is a lot easier to control by occasionally cleaning off that platform.

Back
Top Bottom