Playhouse for silkies ? What ya think ? Input ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicken Woman, May 8, 2009.

1. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8465010

IM
    thinking about buying this and then insulating it with the sheets of 1 inch thick foam insulation. Then doing the interior walls with 1/2 inch plywood.

It will be for a few silkies and bantams. Probably 7 total. I will attach a run that will be 4 ft by 8 ft.

Would love your input ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2009
  2. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I think it is too much. You might be able to find something cheaper,
    Chris

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I looked at that at our Walmart. They are charging all that because it's got things in it you don't really need. Table, chairs, etc..... Check Lowe's they may have one cheaper.

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I have looked at lowes and they don't have anything near this size for the price range. They also don't have them in stock so would charge shipping.
    The only thing they have are dog houses that are smaller and of course not tall enough to enter to clean.

It's is frustrating to find something for a decent price and that is in stock ?

5. geeber

geeber Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    PNW
    What a cute little playhouse. Myself, I'm no builder. This is a very cute & much less expensive alternative to pre-built coops.
    For myself, I would put this up on cinder blocks or something, fence it & let the chickens roam under. Then your door to the coop would be at better height for an adult.
    & then you could really cute it up w/ some paint & flowers.

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    If you don't have the building skill, I'd go for it. The benches and such would be great if you have kids or what not to spend time near chickens. I personally think it'd be nice if I had the money. If your local Walmart dont got it, you can have it shipped for free site to store [​IMG]

7. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd go for it too. It's just right in size for a few silkies.

8. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    Looks like a good idea - is anyone concerned about the cedar wood?

Colleen

9. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I'd ask on freecycle or craigslist for a used playhouse first, and spend the differance in making a snug pen and adapting the playhouse for occupants.

10. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    i think it's a little costly but cute I can just see the beauthful silkie going in out of they're little castle/loghome cute

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by