Playing? Toys?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dreamwallaby, May 22, 2010.

1. dreamwallaby

dreamwallaby Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    Forgive me if this sounds strange but all my previous bird experience is with parrots. Will the chicks play with things? I feel like I should be offering my babies something to do besides just eating. They went outside for a few hrs and loved it. They had a lot of fun jumping on and off their perch too. What else do you give chicks to keep them from being bored?

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

A chick seems to be content with various levels of perches to jump on, jump off, jump on, jump off,flap wings, jump on, & jump off.

3. Bacongirl27

Bacongirl27 In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Arizona
    I often feel the same way with my chickens, right now I let the birds free range but I do not have much in the yard, because we just moved into the house we are living in. They usually come to our back door and just look at us as to say, " mom we're bored or we want something to eat." So any suggestions as to what to put in the yard/ their run so that they seemed a bit more occupied?

4. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Songster

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Get one of those clear balls or egg shaped things that come in two pieces and put a moth or a cricket inside and let them have it.
    Then get the camera! [​IMG]

5. bakerjw

bakerjw Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    OMG.... And I thought june bugs were a great idea for fun!

Wait till I run this past the wife.

6. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    I put a mirror in the brooder from an old medicine cabinet that I removed from the bathroom. They enjoyed it so much that I moved it out to the coop when they got older! They strut back and forth in front of it, peck at their reflection............Funny stuff!

7. FifthStreetMama

FifthStreetMama Hatching

May 21, 2010
    I put a half hollowed piece of fire wood for them to climb on and some large shiny jingle bells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by