Playset coop conversion - finally finished

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by morf2540, Dec 31, 2013.

  1. morf2540

    morf2540 Out Of The Brooder

    28
    1
    34
    Sep 26, 2013
    Hello, I started this post a few months ago but never finished. Figured I would start over now that we have finally completed the project. For our new family chicken coop adventure, we converted an old playset in the back yard. Here is the before and after:

    [​IMG] Before:the swings and slide have already been removed.
    [​IMG] After: Nice little chicken village!
    [​IMG] First step was to construct a lower level for the chickens. It's about a foot off the ground, and about 4' x 6' dimension.
    [​IMG] Next came two boxes with lids that open from the outside. The small one is the nesting box for eggs, and large one for food and water access. Note small transom window and air vents above the box on the right.
    [​IMG] On the other side, a window and a small access door for the chickens.

    [​IMG] Enclosing the upper level and adding a pitched roof. So that we can get in and clean, the entire front wall hinges open. Note black strap hinges.

    [​IMG] Building the run. Went with bamboo, multiple stalks lashed together for the supports. Landscape mesh (2x4) all around. We'll see how it holds up. Two bands of concrete pavers (left over from a prior project) circle the run inside and out, so prevent burrowing predators.
    [​IMG] Taking shape now. Screen door is for access to the run. The top is attached to the swingset frame for excellent stability. Windows on the coop both hinge open for ventilation.
    [​IMG] Checking up on progress. They are exremely curious!
    [​IMG] Brrrrk! What's up here?

    [​IMG] Here is the front hinged open so we can clean.
    [​IMG] The front is suspended from pulleys attached to counter weight, so it is easy to open and close.
    [​IMG] Inside are the roosts, and below those the dropping trays. For now we are using two giant concrete mixing trays filled with sand. Working pretty well so far.
    [​IMG] Hard to see, but the chicken door opens with a cord and pulley, so we can open it from outside. Hardware cloth installed inside all the windows, to keep out invaders.
    [​IMG] Here is the whole thing from the rear, before it was painted.
    [​IMG] Here are the two hinged boxes, opened.
    [​IMG] Inside the nesting box, ta-da!
    [​IMG] Food and water stations inside the other one.
    [​IMG] Locking clasps are racoon-proof (I hope).
    [​IMG] Home sweet home. Vents added to the upper level for air flow.
    [​IMG] And that's it. Everyone seems pretty happy so far.
    [​IMG] Hopefully the fact that they're trying to get in my house doesn't mean they're unsatisified with theirs!
     
  2. granny hatchet

    granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

    68,362
    16,760
    786
    Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    well i just have one thing to say about this. AWESOME JOB !!!
     
  3. Smithyard Farm

    Smithyard Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

    438
    11
    118
    Apr 15, 2012
    Pembroke NH
    That's awesome!! Congrats on finishing your project! came out beautiful!! what lucky chickies you have!
     
  4. ChickensAreSweet

    ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

    Very well-thought-out and nice job!
     
  5. otrdriver5005

    otrdriver5005 New Egg

    5
    0
    7
    Dec 31, 2013
    Very nice!!
     
  6. morf2540

    morf2540 Out Of The Brooder

    28
    1
    34
    Sep 26, 2013
    I should also say that every single design idea that I used was something I learned on this board. There is so much great information here. Thank you everyone!
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by