Please advise - strange thing on chick's leg

BerkeleyKnitter

Chirping
Apr 23, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Hi - brand new chick owner & BYC user here, this is my first post. We have our first batch of chicks, living in a brooder in a bathtub for now. Chicks are 2 weeks old, no health concerns so far.

Our Wellsumer chick has this - thing - on one of her legs. I didn't notice anything earlier, we've been handling them a few times a day. It seems like a whitish bump, not symmetrical. SEE PHOTO BELOW

This chick is big, eating & pooping & all the rest. She doesn't limp or seem to pay any attention to this. Carefully checked all over all 6 of our chicks - nothing.

The only thing similar I've found here is avian/poultry pox - growths on nonfeathered areas like legs. Really hope it's not that.

Any thoughts or advice VERY much appreciated - thank you!!

20170607_191719.jpg

It could be a wound, bug bite or pox. If you have mosquitoes out already than I might suspect pox. It should heal up without any intervention.

Hi - brand new chick owner & BYC user here, this is my first post. We have our first batch of chicks, living in a brooder in a bathtub for now. Chicks are 2 weeks old, no health concerns so far.

Our Wellsumer chick has this - thing - on one of her legs. I didn't notice anything earlier, we've been handling them a few times a day. It seems like a whitish bump, not symmetrical. SEE PHOTO BELOW

This chick is big, eating & pooping & all the rest. She doesn't limp or seem to pay any attention to this. Carefully checked all over all 6 of our chicks - nothing.

The only thing similar I've found here is avian/poultry pox - growths on nonfeathered areas like legs. Really hope it's not that.

Any thoughts or advice VERY much appreciated - thank you!!

View attachment 1035130
:welcome Glad you joined us . Looks like an injury but the dark spot could be pox hard to tell from the angle of the picture . Watch it for change . Should it grow larger quickly . Check it for infection. If your handy with a syringe. Use a small gage needle and see if there is fluid in the growth .The color of the fluid will tell you what's going on . You want to treat infection if there is any. You will do fine rising chickens . Lots of folk's me included would not have noticed that . So your off to a good start :thumbsup

Thank you so much for your advice, kind words, and encouragement. The area on her leg has gotten larger, with mottled red, white, and almost-black parts. She has a small, similar thing between her toes on the same leg. And today we noticed a little red, bald patch on the back of her head. Not sure if that's the same thing or that another chick pecked her.

This chick continues to look healthy otherwise, walk normally, and eat & drink & all the rest. So I'm still waiting and keeping an eye on her. None of the other chicks have anything like this.

Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom