Please advise

ariri30

Free Ranging
7 Years
May 18, 2015
Fair lawn nj
I have a one year old rooster. He is great because he’s not aggressive with people or the hens, my issue is that he is too violent when he’s matting with them. I have 9 hens and him and all their backs are bare and getting infected. I filed all his claws and spurs down and the damage hasn’t changed at all. I don’t know what else to do 😫

Attachments

• 100672FE-66A3-4E70-B519-A7818AD7528B.jpeg
    100672FE-66A3-4E70-B519-A7818AD7528B.jpeg
    664.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 54C489C8-BB67-40AC-8DA3-A39990BA220B.jpeg
    54C489C8-BB67-40AC-8DA3-A39990BA220B.jpeg
    636.5 KB · Views: 9
  • FAF4B2A1-AA8B-4967-B028-1633AF1EFFB4.jpeg
    FAF4B2A1-AA8B-4967-B028-1633AF1EFFB4.jpeg
    881.8 KB · Views: 12
I have a one year old rooster. He is great because he’s not aggressive with people or the hens, my issue is that he is too violent when he’s matting with them. I have 9 hens and him and all their backs are bare and getting infected. I filed all his claws and spurs down and the damage hasn’t changed at all. I don’t know what else to do 😫
Chicken saddles might be the easiest but you can trim their spurs too if you're brave enough. Or let chicken math take over and get more hens to keep him occupied :p

Chicken saddles might be the easiest but you can trim their spurs too if you're brave enough. Or let chicken math take over and get more hens to keep him occupied :p
I filed it. They are blunt. I think it’s more the nails than the spurs doing the damage. And I have been filing his nails too. I’m afraid that if I d it too short he’ll bleed. When I see a little bit of blood I stop. He’s a really sweetheart and I’m doing everything possible to keep him.
and trust me I’m working on my chicken math. I hatched 24 babies so far and I can tell I got a lot of pullets 🥳😉

Does anyone know an easier way to remove all the little pins left in the skin from the broken feathers. I tried with a pair of tweezers and I managed to remove three. I read that if I take them out their feathers will regrow and I don’t have to wait for them to molt.
thanks

Does anyone know an easier way to remove all the little pins left in the skin from the broken feathers. I tried with a pair of tweezers and I managed to remove three. I read that if I take them out their feathers will regrow and I don’t have to wait for them to molt.
thanks
I honestly don't know the right answer, but removing the pins will be like pulling out a hair but much worse. I've never read to pull them... I don't think I would personally, but again, that opinion is not based on any evidence.

I honestly don't know the right answer, but removing the pins will be like pulling out a hair but much worse. I've never read to pull them... I don't think I would personally, but again, that opinion is not based on any evidence.
Oh Thanks. I didn’t think of it that way. But you are right. I’ll just wait for them to molt. I just feel sorry for them.

Back
Top Bottom