Please assist me in sexing these! Update pictures (1 week later)

Here is a photo of my black bantam cochin roo and a 1 year old hen. The second photo is of two black bantam cochin frizzle cockerels that are both about 10 weeks old.

9079_dsc00113.jpg
[/img]

9079_dsc00128.jpg
[/img]

I agree with SGM..I'm guessing both are pullets. I have a Partridge Cochin bantam pullet that is now 5 months old and has had the pencilled markings from the time she feathered out...You'd think if it were a male it would have started getting the more solid colored feathers by now...Plus we have a self blue Cochin bantam also 5 months now that I swore was a male because her comb and wattles were always larger than the others and pinker as babies, but she is all girl and her comb and wattles have stayed about the same size for the last 2 months. Keep her another month at least and if the solid feathers start coming in then find it a home, if they stay pencilled keep her. Good luck, Cindy

ETA: Here is the self blue, see her comb?

001260-R1-21-4A.jpg

And although it is far here is the partridge

001260-R1-24-1A.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow, Cochins are a complicated creature!!!!!

Where do you see the first color changes of the feathers if they are roo's?

I know someone mentioned that by 8 weeks you typically should know, and the partidge is 7 weeks..... but you are saying more like 12 weeks? phew!
tongue.png

n771193733_823618_1065.jpg

n771193733_823619_1367.jpg

What pretty cochins, all of them.
love.gif

Looks like things are turning up, the partridge seems to be a girl. By now if it was a roo you would be seeing some feather color changes.
smile.png

Last edited:
At this point, I really can't say hen or rooster on the partridge, although I do believe the black is a hen. If you find you have a rooster and are worried about a new home....please contact me, I am 30 minutes outside of Gainesville on acreage. He can crow all he wants, no worries. By the way, I have a hen with no roo.

Back
Top Bottom