Please assist me in sexing these! Update pictures (1 week later)

I also e-mailed Tom Roebuck and he says most definitely a cockeral.
hit.gif

There explanations:

Ardjan Warnshuis wrote:

"The partridge is a male. The first molt takes sometimes more than eight week. Usually the females get their feathers faster than the male. They get the feathers on the back a bit later. Usually you can see the difference within three weeks on the combs. Some male do look like hens for a long time, others get darker and more red on the shoulders after the first molt. The ones that do look like female long time are the best for breeding females. They do get the correct colour when they get the adult feathers."

Tom Roebuck wrote:

"He's a cockerel. Those feathers that are more hen feathering looking will soon be replaced by the more mahogany with black center feathers. That what they look like at about that age. The pullets should be more of a Black and brown barred looking pattern at that age. The penciled feathers would be the next set after that. Hope that helps!"

I think that pretty much puts an end to the debate, if some of the most experienced bantam cochin breeders in the world say cockeral, who am I to argue.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom