Please be a girl...please be a girl...

clkingtx

Songster
10 Years
Dec 1, 2009
This girl(I hope) is about 16 weeks old, probably a mix. I got the egg from someone whose stock is from Ideal's surprise straight run last spring. She was gray when she was hatched. She is pretty timid, and quiet. She is low on the pecking order, but my girls have enough room to roam, they don't do too much pecking. They just make her squawk and run away from time to time, but not even every day. Other times, they all hang out together. I have never seen any roo like behaviour, or attempted mounting of the hens. Never heard any unusual vocalizations, either. This chick is very timid, and doesn't let me near, so I can't examine her closer. She is slightly smaller than the barred rocks, and is 2-4 weeks younger. The barred rocks just started laying last month, so even if she started early, it might still be a little while for her.

Well, what do you think?

45222_073.jpg

45222_074.jpg

45222_085.jpg

My husband and mother think that if it were a roo, it would have crowed by now. Also, does anyone have a guess what breed/breeds this might be? I think it is so pretty, whatever it is...
Thanks!

Last edited:
Some people have had Roos start crowing as late as 18 weeks or more... I cant see the saddle feathers too well but I am wanting to say that I think this is a boy...

Edit: Thats my thoughts but Im in NO WAY an expert... Though it does seem to have a small comb for a 16 week old...

Last edited:
I also vote pullet. And she looks just like my light brahma pullet. Except mine has feathers on the outside of her feet.

Pullet! I think you'd see way more comb development by 16 weeks. She's a beauty too; I love her speckling
smile.png
Your barreds have some awesome barring, btw - especially the one in the top pic!

Ok, that really helps! Thanks all, for your input. I guess I can just wait for the first egg from her!

Nikkumz, that picture really does help, thanks.

sevenbabychicks- thanks, I really love my barred rocks! They are very sweet.

Back
Top Bottom