Will You Boycott C-A-L Ranch?

• yes

Votes: 18 47.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 52.6%

• Total voters
What has occurred to me, but I did not mention it to Cal Ranch because I do not have proof, was that she may be using her position to see how much and what type of feed I'm buying, farm supplies, products, etc., as well as other people in our neighborhood who raise chickens (I am not the only one, so other people are concerned). I'm sure the store keeps records, or she could just see the infp at the cash register, as well as personal data like credit card numbers, IDs, birth dates, etc. Cal Ranch collects the birthdate of the customer when you buy chicks, they say its to determine if you are under 18, why not just check ID if that's the case, and they have no legal reason for doing so, unless its to use your personal data for marketing, or other invasions of privacy.

I have dogs so I do not want to make an issue of her dogs barking, because that's how dogs communicate and protect their owners, property and flock. But her dog should not be biting people, especially the animal control officer. My dogs have never bitten anyone, they are gentle giants who can be trusted with the smallest chick or duckling. If they bark incessantly, or at things that are not a threat, they are corrected, or put inside. Dogs are not human, and their perceptions of danger are different than ours, that's why we need to guide them. My dog barked at the neighbor when he peered over the tall fence and used a harsh tone with me. I was grooming her at the time. She was spot on about that guy, because he was being a menace. Lately one of my Pyrs has been reticent about staying alone in the yard closest to the neighbor, so I had to put a security camera up and extend the top of the fenceline. I think its frustrating to the neighbors (the bad ones) that they can't see into my yard, as well. Animal Control asked me what I was trying to hide. I'm not hiding anything, I just want privacy, which the new neighbors don't seem to understand. Peering over a high fence while perched on a step ladder is socially unacceptable, as well as directing your guests to peer over your fence at your neighbor and her yard (this actually happened). I felt like telling them off at the time, but wanted to avoid a confrontation as I was outnumbered by their party guests. I seriously don't think these people understand what is unacceptable behavior, because they must have burnt a lot of bridges in their previous locations. There are plenty of people here that are fed up with them. but they have a way of ingratiating themselves with people (fellow substance abusers) they think will take their side. i
SHE involved her employer in my eyes. And if we had those stores in Wisconsin I would’ve been on board with your boycott. I have friends who live I your state. I’ll pass this along. In my mind a barking dog next door or Harley or annoying nosey neighbor- is WAY worse than ten acres of crowing roosters. We don’t live in communist Russia. NO ONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL YOU WHAT YOU CAN OR CANT DO OR HAVE ON YOUR PROPERTY. Tell her to go back to city life. JuST not Minnesota. Way to close to me!
I'm really sorry you're dealing with this. Gotta love it when dipshits move to the country and are then upset when it's not the city. Did they fail to notice "the smell" and the "noise" when they were looking at the house before buying it?

And I do think it's super stupid that loud trucks, motorcycles, barking dogs, etc. are legal, but (in a lot of places, not yours) a rooster crowing a couple times a day is against the law. So dumb. If I have to listen to my neighbors trucks and dogs then they can listen to my rooster. I don't give a ****.

I'm with @Chef JimmyJ. Make their lives so difficult and awful they move away. Assholes. :mad: You're not breaking the law. You're perfectly within your rights. Call and complain about their dog/the actual illegal things they are doing. And when animal control/the police say they're complaining, just tell them you're not doing anything illegal and to stop harassing you. I would totally get a restraining order. Do anything you can to protect yourself. Document everything too. Get a cheap little camera to film your front door so you can have these interactions on tape.
I'd fight fire with fire. Furst off, you ave been Threatened! Get a restraing order barring any contact. If there is a minimum distance he must stay away from you, he may need to find a temporary residence until the suit comes to court.
They have a dog, call animal control about its barking and the smell of poop. Not once but multiple times a day.
You hear an argument call the police as a concerned citizen, that the guy may be hurting his wife, he has demonstrated a violent temper.
It would not take long for the authorities to realize this is a neighbor dispute and give NO CREDIBILITY to either of you calling.
You live in a rural area, find a lawyer that's raises chickens. They may be glad to offer assistant at an affordable rate or free...

This is more than a "pissing contest". I have not reported them to the authorities for anything, but I have plenty of valid reasons to do so. I thought it was petty. So I am not a "pisser", but pissed on and pissed off.
No C-A-L stores around here, but I wouldn't boycott them if there were simply because you're in a pissing contest with a neighbor who works at one.

I keep my yard as clean as possible, but as what happened yesterday, I don't want to get killed during a lightening storm. I had to run around rescuing birds until it got so bad (hail, lightening) I had to go inside. We had a severe weather warning yesterday from the National Weather Service, and they weren't kidding.
Keep records, involve the authorities, keep your yard clean regardless of weather conditions - you were there first, but must maintain impeccable husbandry standards or you are vulnerable. The first time the husband threatened, I would have involved the police.

I know you probably already have, but if you haven't done so already start a file-folder. In it, put copies of everything you got from animal control. I am not 100% sure, but I do think they are required to turn over copies of any reports concerning you (or your animals) on request. Add those to the file. Start writing down who you talk to, when, what was said, then sign and date those papers and stick them in the file. ESPECIALLY document times and places the neighbors have been threatening, and what was said. If this ever comes down to a game of he-said, she-said, you have a record, at least. Pictures you can take help too.

Document, document, document. If it's in the budget, get cameras for your property too. You don't want them to try something sneaky with your animals while you are not at home. This footage will back you up if ever they try to come over and start another altercation where you feel threatened.

This paper trail will hopefully save your tail if they try to escalate. Also get copies of the pertinent zoning laws in your area, and anything concerning livestock.

Excellent advice, but I would like to add you should also screen print the weather so you have that documented in relation to the violations against you. Might help prove they are only calling when the weather is too atrocious to clean up after your dogs.

I think people that move to a new location need to be respectful of what they find there. They also have an opportunity to see what they are in store for before the purchase. The audacity of thinking they can move into an established community and then change it to suite their likes/purposes is ludicrous.

I also somewhat agree with other posters about fighting fire with fire. I think that may be a last resort so you aren't discrediting yourself by stooping to their level.

Best of luck in dealing with them.

I won't boycott C-A-L ranch. When I saw the title, I thought that you had experienced a problem with their treatment of chicks...perhaps abusing the ones they had in the store for sale. But this is a beef with ONE person acting as a bad neighbor who happens to work at a C-A-L ranch. Why would anyone boycott an entire chain over the actions of one employee who is being a bad neighbor? And why would anyone write the owner of a store over an employee who is being a bad neighbor? It's not the store's responsibility to make sure their employee is being a good neighbor. They are only concerned with how the employee acts on the job (I didn't see anything in your post that said she was acting inappropriately on the job). This incident has nothing to do with Corporate C-A-L Ranch.

Also, animal control isn't going to cite you on non-existent problems. If they tell you to clean up the poop in your yard, perhaps there is more poop in there than you realize. And, if roosters are allowed in your neighborhood, animal control CANNOT tell you to get rid of them. So I'm not sure how they got away with that. If there are no laws against roosters, then animal control would not tell you to get rid of them. I guess I'm a little confused on some of the details here.

I won't boycott C-A-L ranch. When I saw the title, I thought that you had experienced a problem with their treatment of chicks...perhaps abusing the ones they had in the store for sale. But this is a beef with ONE person acting as a bad neighbor who happens to work at a C-A-L ranch. Why would anyone boycott an entire chain over the actions of one employee who is being a bad neighbor? And why would anyone write the owner of a store over an employee who is being a bad neighbor? It's not the store's responsibility to make sure their employee is being a good neighbor. They are only concerned with how the employee acts on the job (I didn't see anything in your post that said she was acting inappropriately on the job). This incident has nothing to do with Corporate C-A-L Ranch.

Also, animal control isn't going to cite you on non-existent problems. If they tell you to clean up the poop in your yard, perhaps there is more poop in there than you realize. And, if roosters are allowed in your neighborhood, animal control CANNOT tell you to get rid of them. So I'm not sure how they got away with that. If there are no laws against roosters, then animal control would not tell you to get rid of them. I guess I'm a little confused on some of the details here.
Ya I'm gonna agree with this post as well as a couple others.
I wouldn't boycott them and I think its out of line to say they Do Not Support Backyard Chicken Farmers just because you're not getting along with your neighbor.

Back
Top Bottom