Please can somebody look at my rooster's feet. Is this scaley leg mite?

jeanette2roos

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014

My roo seems healthy and has no problems walking etc but I have noticed the scales where his foot bends are raised and look sore and flakey. Is this something I should be worried about? If so what should I do?

Thank you

That actually looks like the result of an old injury to me, perhaps a cut or a foreign body. He may have mild scaly leg mite, though some chooks get chunkier scales with age, but looking at his spurs he doesn't seem that old yet (assuming he's never been de-spurred?)... However, unless your camera lens is severely distorting the image, he appears to have bumblefoot. That would be hurting him, and would need treating.

Best wishes.

That is strange. Might be scaly leg mite, in which case it would respond to treatment with vaseline, stockholm tar, vegetable oil or whatever your choice is, anything which suffocates the mites would do. Doesn't look like bumblefoot in the second picture.

Best wishes.

Thank you for taking a second look. I've decided to treat it with vaseline as if it is scaly leg mite it will treat it and if it isn't it shouldn't do him any harm. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see what happens.

I don't think it will be an issue long-term, provided it's not something like cancer (that'd be a rare case indeed). Time will tell but it should heal.

Best wishes.

Hi
When examining him today I noticed a large black scab on the pad of his foot. Not sure how I missed it before. Anyway we're off to the vets tomorrow as I think it's bumblefoot and far too severe for me to treat alone.
Thanks for all of your advice

All good, hope it goes well. If it's something strange, could you consider giving a follow-up for others in your situation to learn from?

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom