Scaley Leg Mites and Inflammation

slburger7264

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2021
We have two barred plymouth rock hens that have a mild-ish case of scaley leg mites. We have been soaking their legs in epsom salt baths as well as applying a think layer of Vaseline every day/every other day. My first question is how to we know that the mites in their scales have been smothered. We fully cleaned their coop and put down diatomaceous earth. My other question is about the hen with the worse case of mites. She does have some scales that are starting to lift up, but she has also been limping and not using her left leg as much. Around her ankle looks to be a bit swollen. Can the mites cause this or is this from an injury or something? She has also started to lose feathers (hopefully just molting), could this be a sign that she may start shedding scales?

Thank you!

It will take awhile for the scales to heal.
Please clean the d.e out of your coop, it's useless and it's a respiratory irritant to you and especially your birds, remember to wear a mask.

We have two barred plymouth rock hens that have a mild-ish case of scaley leg mites. We have been soaking their legs in epsom salt baths as well as applying a think layer of Vaseline every day/every other day. My first question is how to we know that the mites in their scales have been smothered. We fully cleaned their coop and put down diatomaceous earth. My other question is about the hen with the worse case of mites. She does have some scales that are starting to lift up, but she has also been limping and not using her left leg as much. Around her ankle looks to be a bit swollen. Can the mites cause this or is this from an injury or something? She has also started to lose feathers (hopefully just molting), could this be a sign that she may start shedding scales?

Thank you!
Do you have photos of the legs and of her?
You mention she's limping and the ankle is swollen, do you notice any injury?

Back
Top Bottom