please check out my butt

Here's the infamous Poop Chart: http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

You'll
see that the poop you posted falls into the 'normal' category. I don't know what is wrong with your birds feathers, but 20-24 weeks is too young for such an extreme molt. It doesn't look like they were plucked out. And it does seem to be a good idea to pick that chicken up and look closely at that backside for bugs.

Good luck!

I meant to say that it DOES look like they were plucked (or pecked) out.

Last edited:
Sounds a little fishy to me, do they really go through 5 stages of molt before they start laying??? I never knew that
idunno.gif

They do go through a couple of mini molts. At around 18 weeks you'll usually see a lot of feather all over the place, but the birds themselves won't look awful like they can during a full molt.

i have read that most chickens will go through 2 molts that can be noticeable. a 9 month and an 18 month. if they get a severe molt at 9 months the 18 month will not be severe, and the opposite if the 9 month was not severe. as chicks/juveniles they will gradually loose and replace feathers but it is not very noticeable since it is not all at once like normal molts. but i am not sure exactly the number of times they will molt before they hit 18 mo, and i have only noticed mine at their 18!

I've seen the 6-9 month one, just barely, and the 18, more obvious. I read they will molt about once a year now. Sure never saw 5 before laying -- maybe there are -- feathers pop up now and then all over the yard, not a lot, but some.

i would keep all the birds if you have big enough coop 5 birds needs at least 20 sq ft and in your pen needs 50 sq ft. Give them a bath and some loving and try to hold them or pet them while they are coop on the perches. that roo might never crow due to being on the low pole. it will take time for them to get use to being there in a small flock compare where they came from. plus i would not eat any eggs for at least 3 weeks due to you dont know what she gave them,
but i believe they will be all right. they came from a very stress home
tied them up is not way to treat a bird

I can't keep him, but would love any advice on how I'm supposed to be the roo of the flock. Hopefully our baths will go well tomorrow,
if they don't you can watch for us on America's funniest home videos.

Last edited:
Hey you know, someone recently was saying they had a bird with a red butt and diarrhea, they took it to an avian veterinarian and it turned out to be a kidney infection. I'll bet that's what it is. If you can get ahold of a good antibiotic, maybe we even find that thread and get the right antibiotic, that's what you should do. You don't want to let something like that run rampant. An antibiotic is probably a good course to go in any case.

Back
Top Bottom