Please don’t call me nuts if it’s just WRONG LOL

Would it be completely inappropriate to give our chickens, leftover chicken, scraps raw or cooked?
I don't think so if the scraps are from your flock. If they are living together they have already been exposed to whatever may be in that meat or scraps. Personally I would not hesitate if the raw chicken scraps came from somewhere not your flock but I could see where someone might be concerned they haven't been exposed to it yet. If it is cooked I don't see a potential problem.

When I butcher my chickens I have two buckets. One bucket gets the scraps that I'll bury in my orchard to feed my fruit trees. The other bucket gets the bits and pieces I'll feed back to the flock. That bucket includes bits of meat, fat, and other bits, the intestines cut into 2" long strips, lugs and other organs I don't use, testicles, just various things.

I do much worse than this. When I catch a rat, possum, raccoon, or such I open it (with a shovel) to expose the insides and toss it in the run for them to feast on. I remove what's left before dark and dispose of it so I don't attract predators to the run. They get a lot of good protein that way.

Many people will feel other than I do on this. They certainly have that right. I hate to totally waste anything, even a rat.

If you mean morally inappropriate (which I assume you do, otherwise you wouldn't use that word), then there's nothing to worry about. Chickens have no morality or ethics and will eagerly cannibalize each other alive if they so much as saw a drop of blood. They are heathens. People have literally seen chickens eat a member of their flock alive just because she had a wound and they were drawn to the blood, or worse, because she got stuck in a hole and couldn't get away, so they took advantage of her weakness and ate her. They are horrible animals, but they are cute and useful so we love them anyway. Go ahead and give them your chicken scraps, they'll love you for it.

Chickens LOVE to eat chicken. Seriously, it has to probably be their favorite food if they had to choose anything, based upon all of the videos and pictures I have seen of chickens devouring chicken like they are starving any time they are given chicken to eat. It is the instinct of chickens to partake in cannibalism-they love eating another's feathers, drinking another's blood, and even killing and eating their flock member if a chicken in the flock happens to have a wound.

So no, there is nothing wrong with feeding chickens chicken. It is a totally normal practice and they will thoroughly enjoy eating it.

Back
Top Bottom