Please, everyone post pictures of your shabby and chic coops here

I just finished my first coop today. interior is 8x5 with an 11'x4' run. It is stick built with t-11 siding outside and osb inside panels The roof is shingle and the roof of the run is modified bitumin hotroof. It has 3 windows and vented eaves and 2 external nesting boxes. The door is a 30 incher that I made from ripping down an old 34 inch door and sandwiching with t-111 . it is on an existing concrete slab that I had poured when I built the new garage.I figure with paint and everything I have about $1000.00 into it.
I love the colors on the outside! I would like to do this, but mine would not come out this way. I am considering your style of paint job. Well done, give yourself a pat on the back. Thanks for sharing.

you certainly can do his, I am not a carpenter I am a retired engineer. In fact my neighbors who are carpenters made fun of my old hand saw and 30 year old power saw "mister twister" when they came over. If you are no good at hammering then use screws.. once you sit down to plan it out you will be surprised at how easy it is. and if you plan right ,like use precut studs for one side and full 8 footers on the other you wont have a lot of sawing to do.

I love this color combo, it is swan white and glidden wedgewood blue. I used it on my pool cabana that I built a couple year ago and just re-sided my rental house in it this summer right before I built this coop.
here is the cabana in wedgewood blue with garnet red trim and the house.

7ejupyzu.jpg
maza2ety.jpg
emese6y9.jpg
ry9ura5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

As I'm typing this, I'm listening to the roof rats trying to get into my coop...what I've learned since building my coop, is to build the coop with zero holes that a rat could get through. Initially I put the wavy PVC panels on as the roof without including the spacers in between the waves. Lesson 1 learned, I took the roof off, added the spacers and no more rats coming through the roof. Rats can climb the hardware cloth easily, so any space in the corners where the wire cloth isn't stapled they can squeeze through. I've had to amend the Coop a few times for this reason, I'm feeling good that all corners are covered.
One thing that bobk mentioned is that if you sit down and plan how you want the end result to be you can do it.
It worked for me that way. I trolled over BYC coops for weeks, they slowly planned the coop.
Good luck!

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I do not think I am skilled enough.
I built a hay feeder for our goats and it broke two times, then I rebuilt it again with supports and a front high panel to keep the goats from getting on it, and once again one of the goats figured a way and it collapsed immediately. It is completely broken and I have to figure out how to store hay and feed them at the same time before winter. I stink at this stuff really.
My husband is not skilled with constructing much of anything, so it is basically left to me. My husband nor myself grew up with farm animals or the farm life, so I am really trying to do all this for our daughter and two sons, however I am in way over my head. Hence the reason for this post. The more I see, the better my understanding is.

Thank you all a ton!

(For anyone that is confused, we have a metal shed that is used for housing and hay storage, so space is limited. Ideally, we need a way to feed and store hay in same location, but my construction failed)

Okay Everyone,

So I started one hut made from screwing four pallets together, but I want to make some sort of front panel that can be opened. Any ideas? I was thinking something that can be shut and let light through, but protect from the harsh weather.

I will take a photo, but for now it is sitting on the ground, no bottom with three sides and pallet as the roof (flat). Also, any cosmetic ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I built my coop and just because a lady can go buy a skill saw and Hitachi cordless drill, it does not make her a carpenter, but the girls like it.
gig.gif
It is 4 posts sunk in the ground and then wrapped in plywood and hardware cloth. The roof is used tin and I dropped a tin nail in the holes and squeezed black gooey pitch over that to keep the rain out. It was supposed to be 8'x7', but turned out a little whomp-pe-jawed. it is 8'2"x6'11"x8'1"x7'2".
lau.gif
Later, I wanted more chickens and added a coop run made from cow panels covered with hardware cloth. The whole thing has 2' of wire laid flat all around the coop and run to keep digging critters out. The floor is dirt. I toss in grass clippings, pea hulls, corn shucks, leaves, garden trimmings, anything and everything organic. What they don't eat, they poop on and scratch apart. It makes lovely compost and I dig it out several times a year.

Okay Everyone,

So I started one hut made from screwing four pallets together, but I want to make some sort of front panel that can be opened. Any ideas? I was thinking something that can be shut and let light through, but protect from the harsh weather.

I will take a photo, but for now it is sitting on the ground, no bottom with three sides and pallet as the roof (flat). Also, any cosmetic ideas?

Thanks in advance!

The beginning pictures of our breed specific huts that I need ideas for.

All ideas welcome. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom