Please explain the bantum thing

well, I can understand how putting all your eggs in one basket is a bad thing, lets say you have 3 bantams or 1 standard heavy breed, you are looking at equivelant egg production, but then you go outside to find a chickensicle or mysterious predator attack, if you have one standard, bye bye eggs, if you have bantams you might still have an egg or two.

Good point...
sad.png

We decided to go with Bantams because we don't have alot of flat areas on our rented 2 acres and also because we don't need a ton of eggs, since it's just hubby and I.

We love using their eggs for baking. We just use 2 of their eggs to equal one regular large egg.

Since the days are getting longer and the weather is warming up, I'm getting from 9 - 11 eggs a day from our girls and we can't eat them fast enough or give them away fast enough.

Dawn

They're just prettier!! I love my standards (I have a bunch), but my bantams are my new precious babies. Last year I swore I'd never get any. Now I have 8, and I'd love to get more. lol I baby them more then my big girls.

I have wondered the same thing. I have nothing against bantams at all and dont want to be considered snarky or anything like that. They have just not really appealed to me. If you go to a chicken show however the bantams outnumber large fowl 5 to one. Or at least they do in these parts. It has given me reason to consider them.

Why are they so much more desired as show birds? I did have one breeder tell me that he breeds for more attitude in Bantam birds as they do much better in the show pen if they display haughtiness.

Yep I wanna hear why so many more folks show them. Trying to keep talking myself out of the darn things.

I just became a chicken owner and researched all the breeds and went with the bantams for a few reasons. I like small animals in general( read my siggy) and I also have a smaller urban lot that is only about 1/3 of an acre so figure we don't have a ton of room for the bigger ones. Since this is my first experience with chickens I can't compare the 2. I just got the fuzz butts today and man they are tiny especially my mille fleur.

Back
Top Bottom