PLEASE HEEEEELP! HURT BABY CHICK! NEEDING TO KNOW IF WE CAN HELP HER, IF SHE WILL LIVE AND NEEDING A

Are her legs naturally Bent back like that? Can she straighten them? If not see if it hurts her when you try to straighten them.

I'm treating my own 3 day old chick with the same problem at the moment. Her leg was worse than your chicks. Her leg was totally twisted and dragging underneath and behind her. She could not walk, sit down to sleep, eat or drink on her own. She hatched this way last Friday. Horrible to watch her struggling! I've applied the vetwrap hobbles to her legs and by the 2nd day she could stand. By the 3rd day she could sit down and stand up again. She can now kinda jump/run to eat and move around. Now, if other chicks bump her she dose'nt fall over or can quickly right herself again. I do have to stand her next to the waterer several times a day to be sure she gets to drink.

I share the above to encourage you! There's a chance your chick can be saved!

One comment I would make though....the vetwrap between your chicks legs seems a little loose to me. I've adjusted this on my chick a number of times in order to keep this part tighter.

Best of luck. I'd love to hear your chick's progress. Keep us all posted. :)

Thank you so much for helping. We think from looking at all of the pics and reading about leg problems that she does have a slipped tendon. We are going to try the treatment option that was on the link. I'm still look for solutions in case it doesn't work and I will right and say if it works as soon as I can.
Pascha and Hope are now our top choices so far but we are still not sure what fits her the best
idunno.gif

I have a recipe for homenade electrolyte is about all I can offer. Your story breaks my heart & I really hope she makes it.
1/2 tsp salt sub (not huge deal if not avail)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp table salt
1 tblsp sugar
1 gal water
I keep this in my chick first aid kit just in case. Thought maybe you could use it since she's not eating/drinking well. I've heard of the vetwrap too. Best wishes.

Best of luck! I like Chance, Passion, and maybe Destiny? I like Hope too! I've never actually heard of a slipped tendon... Although we're starting our next bach of chicks and it may be something to look into... Good Luck!!!
wink.png

Last edited:
Well we tried the slipped tendon treatment and it didn't work
hit.gif
but we did replace the bandages and we got a closer look at her ankle area. The ankle tendon and bones feel intact and it looks like she had slayed legs for long enough that the way she was moving rubbed on her ankles and made blisters and cuts
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom